ufk22

spin control

Does anyone out there teach the "curl up into a ball" method to students for getting out of spins???
If so, how, when and why?
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Never heard of this.....

I tell my student to extend legs all the way out arms slightly back to track out of the spin.

I see them spinning even faster once they ball up..

are we talking about Aff student??? or some sorta freefly student???

Even if they are learning how to backfly and once they get into spin last thing they wanna do is ball up..

I've heard balling up option for a wingsuiters.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I don't, nor have ever heard of anyone else, use this technique. But thinking about it, sounds like it could work. But not something I want a student trying. It's counter to everything else they're taught.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I'm not an Instructor, but...

I was taught this technique for breaking a spin. I had a big problem w/spins during AFF. If I couldn't break a spin in a few seconds. I was taught to ball myself up. Then, bang out a new, strong arch. I was also taught the Five Second Rule. I only needed to use this technique once, but it worked like a charm. Nasty Spin on my third solo dive. Was getting worse, fast. Was counting to five seconds. At three seconds, I tried balling up as a last ditch effort. It instantly broke the spin. Though, it left me upside down, momentarily. As I was about to have to pitch my PC during a very fast spin (& knew the messy deployment that would follow). I was very grateful to have this tool to use. W/it, I no longer feared losing control in free fall.