Deisel

IERC

Hi guys. I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has taken the Instructor Examiner Rating Course. I'm specifically looking at the Coach course, but any would be good. I'd like any opinions on when would be a good time to take the course. I'm of the opinion that the sooner the better. That gives you an opportunity to develop a better product based on what you get from the course. That way you have fewer bad habits to un-learn. Also, any recommendations and opinions on course directors would be great as well. Thanks.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I've sat through two; I'd highly recommend Jay Stokes IERC course.
There is a lot to learn; it fundamentally changed how I viewed some aspects of training. Plan on being creative, plan on some problem-solving, plan on a lot of role-playing.

IERC is the same course for any rating, not coach, AFF, or any rating specific. I would assist with at least one or two IRCs prior to taking the course. I would also try to assist with courses from more than one I-E to get a broader perspective. Everyone does it a little differently.
The biggest thing I would tell you, same as I tell all the candidates prior to the courses I teach, is PREPARE. Read the I-E section of the IRM (if you had, you'd know it isn't rating specific). Write lesson plans for everything prior to the course. Running an effective coach or instructor course doesn't mean reading the IRM to your candidates. Practice. Also, don't go into this with the attitude that everything you know or have been taught or the way things are done at your DZ are right. There is very little that I do or teach that is the same as I was taught.
The person I took the IERC from is no longer doing it.
I didn't take it from her, but two I-Es I know gave very high recommendations for Jen Sharp.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.