PommyG

Converting ratings to USPA/Visa requirements?

Does anyone know what is involved in converting overseas ratings to the USPA system?
I have Australian ratings (Tandem/AFF) but would like to work a season or two in the USA.
Any info on visa's required would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

The best visa for being legal is either a P1 or if you have skills and a willing prospectrive employer, go for a full sponsorship with a H1/H2. Check the Department of State website for more information. It can be a minefield to try and understand but its the place to get information. I got my P1 visa approved last year. Changing over ratings is pretty easy, get onto the U.S.P.A. and read the Skydivers Information Manual (its available as a download from the USPA website). As for getting qualified for USPA ratings you have to get onto an AFF evaluator and do the same for the Tandem rating-involves some ground preparations and evaluation jumps. If you have the Factory Tandem tickets already that will help, however you will still have to get them as well. Good luck. I've been at the U.S. thing for a while now and one of the first things you really need to do is get over there and meet people. No one will hire you as an unknown (generally)