livendive

"Student" or "Expert" AADs

So how many of you use "student" versions of an AAD for your students and how many use an "expert" (or "pro") version? I'm not personally a fan of the extra firing parameter (even though my student rigs are so equipped) and am wondering if it's a clear-cut industry standard.

Edit to add: In the poll, I'm hoping to learn what you actually use, not what you prefer. If they differ, please reply to note how.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

In The Netherlands we have the folowing rules regarding AAD's for students:

1) they must have one ;)
2) it must be turned on :)
3) if the AAD in question has a student version/mode only that version/mode may be used
4) no new type/brand AAD's allowed untill approved (Argus is not yet approved for below-C-license).

So basically, there are in use: FXC, cypres 1 student version, cypres 2 student version, vigil in student mode.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

What do you mean: students, two modes?

Jurgen

I'm guessing that by mode he means the conditions at which it will fire, ie one higher (1000ft) point when going at freefall speeds and one lower point (700ft) when going at serious-canopy-malfunction speeds, like cypres student version.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Jurgen

I'm guessing that by mode he means the conditions at which it will fire, ie one higher (1000ft) point when going at freefall speeds and one lower point (700ft) when going at serious-canopy-malfunction speeds, like cypres student version.

Yes, that's what I meant, though you have the parameters reversed. On a student CYPRES, the "freefall" firing parameter is just like the expert version (78 mph, 750 feet), and the "malfunction" firing parameter is higher (>29 mph but <78 mph, 1000 feet).

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Jurgen

Well, in that case, I have to disappoint him. There are no two modes. The student cypres will fire always at the low speed. The only difference is if he is under a sniveling canopy or in a standup or headdown, it will fire at approx. 1000 ft and not at 750 ft.

Imagine that a freeflyer is still in headdown at 1000 ft and he jumps with a studentcypres, it will fire at 1000 ft.

The studentcypres fires at a certain speed. In a belly to earth position at 750 ft. In a position where there is no burbble (vacum) at his back, it will fire approx 250 ft higher. Hence why your and mine cypres will fire at approx 1000 ft when we are for example under a sniveling canopy or in standup.

CU

Jurgen

Jurgen

Well, in that case, I have to disappoint him. There are no two modes. The student cypres will fire always at the low speed. The only difference is if he is under a sniveling canopy or in a standup or headdown, it will fire at approx. 1000 ft and not at 750 ft.

Imagine that a freeflyer is still in headdown at 1000 ft and he jumps with a studentcypres, it will fire at 1000 ft.

The studentcypres fires at a certain speed. In a belly to earth position at 750 ft. In a position where there is no burbble (vacum) at his back, it will fire approx 250 ft higher. Hence why your and mine cypres will fire at approx 1000 ft when we are for example under a sniveling canopy or in standup.

CU

Jurgen

I think you are confusing two very different issues. The expert and student CYPRES both take into account the burble behind a belly-to-earth jumper's back and will fire at approximately 750 feet AGL if it is perceived that the jumper is still going greater than 78 mph. The student CYPRES has an additional set of criteria that, when met, will trigger it to fire at a higher elevation (1000 feet AGL) and lower speed (between 29 and 78 mph).

Not having the low pressure burble behind the back as a result of being vertically oriented can indeed trigger a high firing on either system.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I think you are confusing two very different issues. The expert and student CYPRES both take into account the burble behind a belly-to-earth jumper's back and will fire at approximately 750 feet AGL if it is perceived that the jumper is still going greater than 78 mph. The student CYPRES has an additional set of criteria that, when met, will trigger it to fire at a higher elevation (1000 feet AGL) and lower speed (between 29 and 78 mph).

Not having the low pressure burble behind the back as a result of being vertically oriented can indeed trigger a high firing on either system.

Blues,
Dave

Find somebody who can fall on his belly at, let's say 14 m/s, and it will fire at 750 ft.

The only difference between an expert and a student cypres = the activation speed.

I know how it is written in the manual, but that manual was written a long time ago.
You can always ask airtech or test it yourself.

Jurgen

Well the website is newer and airtec still says it has 2 activation parameters.

From the Airtec site:

It will activate the release unit when the rate of descent exceeds 29 mph (13 meters per second). The activation altitude is split. In the case of rate of descent being equal to that of freefall, the opening altitude is at approx. 750 feet (the same as with Expert CYPRES). However, should the rate of descent be lower than that of freefall but still above the limit of 29 mph (e.g. with partially opened canopy, or after a cutaway), then Student CYPRES activates the release unit when the altitude falls below approx. 1000 feet (approx. 300 meters) above ground level. The student will then have more time to prepare for landing

I think they know their equipment.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome