diablopilot

Tandem Skyhook Deployment

Who's had one? Just had my first (yeah beer) and didn't impress me much. Was definately in freefall longer than I had be on rides on sport rigs, but then I don't have any tandem rides to compare to as I've been lucky till now with more than 1000 tandems.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Was definately in freefall longer than I had be on rides on sport rigs, but then I don't have any tandem rides to compare to as I've been lucky till now with more than 1000 tandems.

With a non-spinning tandem reserve deployment, you go back into no-shit freefall. The two I've had that were spinning violently under the malfunctioning main actually produced a seemingly quick reserve deployment (and linetwists under the reserve).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Compared to the "normal" reserve deployment on a Vector tandem reserve, I thought the Skyhook was WAY faster. All three of my tandem chops have been sub-terminal, and I'm guessing the first two were 800-1000 feet from riser release to open reserve. With the Skyhook, it was less than 200 feet (per my Neptune). I felt the canopy start to open about the time I cleared the reserve ripcord cable. :)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

With the Skyhook, it was less than 200 feet (per my Neptune). I felt the canopy start to open about the time I cleared the reserve ripcord cable.
--------------------------------------------------
Ditto, with the vector/sigma system there is a better chance you will not be able to completely extract the reserve cable from the housing. Take a look at the reserve activation system on the tandem. The RSL lanyard is a direct connection to the reserve pin and the ripcord is attached threoug a ring. That will jamb against the housing. The reserve will be activated but the handle will only be pulled about 1 foot then stop. Could freak out a TI.
If the RSL/Skyhook activates the reserve then the reserve ripcord can be completely removed from the housing.

JP: Got to be overload man, cause you, I , anyone can not beat a Skyhook.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

The system worked, your on the ground safe....
yet you are not impressed ?

I have one sport cutaway with no rsl or skyhook
I have one tandem cutaway with skyhook

I was impressed..
my sport rig now has skyhook.
Better you than me

JP: Got to be overload man, cause you, I , anyone can not beat a Skyhook.

Was thinking that myself, but you know there are always doubts.

I distinctly remember cutting away, pause to feel release, extracting the entire reserve cable, shifitng the cutaway handle to my left hand, and feeling for the RSL like a handles check done out of habit, thinking "WTF" and then being stood upright by the snivling reserve.

Probably just a trick of time compresion by the mind and the fact that it's a damn long amount of line length on those reserves plus the bridle length, but there is always the nagging doubt.......

In all the reserve opened, my student and I got a little extra excitement for the buck, and we had a good laugh later when we both un-puckered.......

He was a good sport about it, especialy as I just told him to grab his harness and take a deep breath, not wanting to worry him before the chop.:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Sweet ! glad you and your student are OK

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Just one final comment:

Dude, just read your post from 4/17 in the "Tandem Raven 375 Experience" thread...you totally jinxed yourself! ;)

Either way, good job, glad everything worked.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash