slotperfect

The Transfer Of Ownership

I took a friend on her first tandem yesterday. She and I see the world in quite the same way so it makes for some riveting conversations.

As I always do while we're gearing up, I asked her why she wanted to make a skydive. Her reasons were to lead the way in taking risks to achieve a breakthrough in her life, so that she might affect people she is closely associated with to risk and achieve breakthrough in their own way.

After we landed and the camera was turned off, I explained to her "transfer of ownership" in such a way that made it even clearer to me why I enjoy teaching first time skydivers.

When students show up, many of them doubt their ability to complete the task at hand - stepping out of the airplane. Many times they show huge trust in me, knowing that I will do my best to guide them through the experience safely. At that point they see "ownership" of the experience being mine.

After we land I sometimes point to the sky and show them where they came from, and acknowledge them for making the decision to fly through the clear blue. At that point the "ownership" transfers . . . I explain that THEY made the decision, THEY answered the "ready?" question positively, and THEY followed through on their intention. I was merely a facilitator.

Those students leave with the knowledge that they have created something for themselves - a level of courage, daring, confidence, etc. that they can apply elsewhere in their lives.

It is a privilege to be honored with their trust, and to be their caretaker for a short while as they truly learn to fly - both literally and figuratively.
Arrive Safely

John

After we land I sometimes point to the sky and show them where they came from, and acknowledge them for making the decision to fly through the clear blue. At that point the "ownership" transfers . . . I explain that THEY made the decision, THEY answered the "ready?" question positively, and THEY followed through on their intention. I was merely a facilitator.

Those students leave with the knowledge that they have created something for themselves - a level of courage, daring, confidence, etc. that they can apply elsewhere in their lives.

Interesting approach. I always liked to have my tandem students pull the ripcord and help fly the parachute. That created even more "ownership." It was amazing how many people thought skydiving was this complex thing that they could never master, but then how their impressions changed after they pulled the ripcord and "saved their instructor's life." I found that students who pulled the ripcord and helped fly the parachute to landing had a more positive experience, and were more likely to return.

I always considered tandems as training jumps, even for those students who said they had no intention of returning. My ripcord pull percentage was well over 50 percent, and my assist with parachute flight to landing was near 90 percent. Other instructor who thought of tandems as "just a ride" reported ripcord pull rates of about 10 percent, and some never allowed their students to fly the parachute.

I'm convinced that if we get our students involved and help them to achieve success they are more likely to return for more jumps, and will have a more powerful "take home" from the experience. "Ownership" is an interesting way to describe all that.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

As a Tandem guy myself I want to Thank both of ya'll for your experienced insight.

I wish more instructors felt this way in the sport.

Too many times I see people who are only after monetary gain instead of taking care of the student. Making it what it is; an experience for the student.

John, I look forward to meeting you the next time I am at Raeford. Might be November. Although I am pretty sure we have met before. I am just there sporatically.

Thank You again Gentlemen!

Blue Skies to All,

Keith

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I'm convinced that if we get our students involved and help them to achieve success they are more likely to return for more jumps, and will have a more powerful "take home" from the experience. "Ownership" is an interesting way to describe all that.

I rarely teach first-timers to pull, unless the student fully intends to continue their training via AFF. In that case I make the skydive as much like a Cat A as I can, modified to accomodate tandem characteristics. I used to, but I found that sensory overload on a student's first skydive most times resulted in me pulling the drogue release anyway. I started polling TIs to find out their preference. Most of the ones I talked to don't have first timers pull either.

Letely I have been considering going back to teaching to pull on the first jump. I am seeing, as you alluded to Tom, that the value and "ownership" a student can get from a tandem can be significantly increased by having them perform the "life-saving" maneuver.
Arrive Safely

John

After we landed and the camera was turned off, I explained to her "transfer of ownership" in such a way that made it even clearer to me why I enjoy teaching first time skydivers.

When students show up, many of them doubt their ability to complete the task at hand - stepping out of the airplane. Many times they show huge trust in me, knowing that I will do my best to guide them through the experience safely. At that point they see "ownership" of the experience being mine.

It is a privilege to be honored with their trust, and to be their caretaker for a short while as they truly learn to fly - both literally and figuratively.

here! here !
its not just about making a $$$
blue skies steve
If you can't kill yourself doing it, its not a sport... its a game.

Risk factors do not add up, they multiply

Obviously, not an instructor but wanted to put my voice in. Feel free to ignore me. ;)

When doing my tandems at SDC I was given the option on the ground by my TM as to whether I wanted to "go for a ride" or "do as much as he could let me". I went for option B. I was given an altimeter and told at what altitude to wave off, and reach behind for the plastic tube. Under canopy, he gave me the toggles from fully deployed parachute to 20ft off the ground. Obviously, he gave me verbal instructions on when to turn in the landing pattern (got to fly over the hanger, that was cool). I have to say that being given that experience multiplied my enjoyment 10 fold. It also made me feel more confident in piloting the canopy when I got into AFP.

Sorry for intruding.

Another one this weekend . . . a friend from Virginia brought his wife and daughter down to do tandems - the occasion was the daughter's 18th birthday, and Mom had agreed to the tandem only because Dad knew and trusted me. Dad talked Mom into it as well.

When they arrived, each wanted to jump with me on separate lifts. Mom was very clear that this experience was all about her daughter's birthday, and visibly subordinated her experience for the exclusive enjoyment of her daughter. I saw right through that.

I could tell that this was a big deal for Mom, and a glimmer of that shone through now and again during the training. In the airplane she confessed to me that the prospect of jumping from an airplane scared her to death, but very matter of factly stated that she was committed and would not back down.

After landing, the pretense of this not being her event and the effects of fear and doubt all gone, I was joyfully able to show her the blue sky 13,000 feet above, and acknowledge her for making the choice to conquer her fear. Transfer of ownership complete.

Knowing what that culmination experience is like gives me a place to focus when I have a difficult student who is repeatedly unsure of themselves, distrustful of the entire process, put off by the verbiage of the waiver, or simply incredibly inquisitive. I just imagine their reaction at ownership transfer time, and it allows me to maintain focus and an optimistic attitude.
Arrive Safely

John