patworks

the RW Council and Communication for Star People, RWunderground

the RW Council and 1972 The RW Nationals Begat the RW Council and an “Underground” Communication for Star People, RWunderground Newsletter

Jan and I saved folders of files of historical yesterday when 10-way was introduced to the USPA Nationals. That happened in early 1972 at a time when RW folks and USPA both suffered a, "Who needs you." approach. Recently while working on the RW History displays for the National Skydiving Museum, I found my handwritten notes from January 27, 1972 when the RW proposals were accepted by the BOD for 10-man team competition at the 1972 National Parachuting Championships.

“Open Letter to RW Council Members”

40 Years ago the formation skydiving star people proposals for 10-man team competition at the 1972 National Parachuting Championships were accepted by the USPA BOD. My handwritten notes from that January 27, 1972 Milwaukee USPA BOD Meeting became Issue number one of a newsletter by and for RW people worldwide. My reporting published on the event was the first RW “underground” newsletter. RWu Newsletter was the communication conduit between the players involved. A group of RW Skydivers we called The RW Council.

Formal and informal by 1972, ten-man star competitions and Eight-way SCR attempts were widespread. Wherever aircraft and interest permitted was where RW affection gathered. Realizing that allowed me to know who were the RW freaks and where they flocked. Simple, instant representative democracy.

You decide. If you travel to all the five Centers of active Relative Workers formation Skydiving and signed up both Captains of teams, leaders and thinkers you’d in 1972 end up with twenty or thirty skydivers who earned the respect to be the representatives of and for RW Skydivers in mapping our future and Jointly deciding a national strategy for achieving our goal-future.

Modeled on the U.S.A’s faith in a representative Republic we few could carry the Votes vested, make policy and earn respect. Uncounted representatives offer sport a strong position Supported By uncounted numbers. We seemed to be huge. At The RW Councils public conventions attendance Was over a hundred RW Jumpers.

At the same time USPA Directors had decided to molify constituents and somehow support and satisfy the swelling need for USPA-recognized RW Parachuting activities.

That initial letter was sent to key RW people the first 30 RW Council members, to explain the RW proposals accepted for the 1972 10-man team competition at the National Parachuting Championships. That initial letter was signed by the three individuals who made the proposal to the Board of Directors, P. Works, D. Girausso, and John Sherman. Dated January 27, 1972, it was titled,

“NOTICE OF THE FIRST NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS OF 10-MAN RELATIVE WORK TEAMS”

[ATTACHMENT ]=======================

Original Notes on the Founding of the RW Council

“The RW Council. There are no dues but you must remain active in RW. By virtue of being a RW Council member you are also an advisor on relative work to the USPA Competition Committee

“Our duties are that you voice your opinion on RW matters. The RWunderground newsletter will print anything you have to say concerning the betterment of RW.
“Membership in the RW Council is open to any active SCR holder who YOU believe would benefit the sport.
“I believe we want to supplement rather than supplant USPA. I believe lotsa RW is lotsa fun. What’s been happening up your way?” signed/ pat and Jan Works

The RWunderground Newsletter went to over 1,120 active relative workers all over the world. Members included the FAI CIP, Plus leaders from France, UK, Australia, NZ, S. Africa, Germany, Holland, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Belgium, Canada, Texas, etc.

Pat’s notes from the events of the day: Jan 27, 1972

“Battle Plan “Underground” Communication with Relative Workers Nationwide”
“Nationally: Team Captains are the representatives and leaders of Star People. (Not Safety officers or Conference Directors, or Club’s Presidents)
“Team Captains – as a group – are the “directors” of RW and Star people. No forms, badges, patches, paperwork, or red tape. Just Team captains who represent and support their team and RW to USPA and everybody: Victory over Horse Shit! So, if you are a ground-hog, like to babble-rap, and be a not-involved rule-maker: Get XXXX!”
“To communicate RW happenings, Pat & Jan will produce an occasional “Underground” letter. We must immediately spread the word to star people.

“Net, we’ll end up with an informal “League of Star People” - - everybody with their shit together who do their thing (not mine or yours) for and to RW. Result will be significant support (including importantly $Money$ support from those lovely? Lads at USPA). “

< P. Works>

-

Entertain other RW formations” Jan, 28, 1972: Feedback from phone conversations last night: Notes added next day, Jan, 28, 1972: “Entertain other RW formations. Don’t let RW stagnate at round stars where all the fun can deteriorate into a tense push for speed & time…. Let’s have snowflakes, lines, ……