patworks

Raptors don't flock. Sheep do.

Like, hey fledglings, fly with me. Aerodynamics lore. Wisdom suggests that it is good for your new 'Do' that cows don't fly too.

Early jumping eagle stuff is lost in the sound and wind of the airplane and then.... your voice horse from an overlong "OooooooHo S H I T!......!" Its quiet. like unto silent for quite a bit. Your senses still try reeling but the bod is feeling that like wow golly this is so suddenly silent. The parachute makes soft sleepy parachute noises and a blue sky is lit up special, just for you. Looking downward you see this very unrealistic green ground scene that gets more realistic as it sucks you into its dirt. WHOMP! What the Hell! Ouch! Sorta!

Oh well. Thirty jumps pass and you now jump out the door for an eagle's repast. Back in the dim when my yellow jump-suited friend, dead Bert, would be my prey as I dove down screaming to attack in play. Bert was my canary, I the eagle screaming down on him -- a peregrine falcon swooping prey.

Half-century or so ago 'twas. Then the sky was vast and distance far but not far enough to thwart lunch.

New Clear Phizzics tole me true that above my yellow fellow faller a vacuum grew. I'd slot-in and elevator down and with gloved talons astound Bert and knock him askew. He loved it. Me too. WOW, We made CONTACT on a 30 second dive. Awesome True!

The period when the earth was flat and parachutes round held other beauties: eye-candy profound.

Once on a sun struck cloudy day we paid the $9.00 to get up and away to 10,500 and a 45-second delay. No thought of RW, like it didn't exist yet anyway. The small Cessna, door off climbed slowly between layers of clouds that lied like marble floors of alabaster with crimson columns interconnecting levels that setting sun lit with crimson and gold. Awesome. Visuals only pilots, God, and skydivers behold. Up there then towards the end of day we departed the Cessna and flew solo in a trance to enter endless hallways struck by the sun. To break into other levels, sun-colored different every one. Think bright blue, cloud silver, sun drenched architectures of crimson clouds gilded with golden rays.

Of course, I broke out into an earth scene now dusk blue. And opened. Awed. And wondered, awed. And remember. Yes, I certainly do! YES! Like an eagle I flew!

(Time line '61 & '62 -- Remembered jumps in Houston and with the A&M Parachute Team)

Thanks Pat!

In the early 70's we had about the same gear.

I remember a buddy who fell like a rock. I was determined to give him his first hook-up. I slammed into him so hard that I was lucky I didn't get nocked out, but we held that hookup. An eagle couldn't have done it any better. I bled all over B.J. Worth's reserve on the ride down. I don't think he was too tickled with me....