moggybean

Can Any Old Time Texas Jumpers Help

A friend of mine is 70 early next month and I am planning a surprise for him. He told me a story of an accident he had in the mid 70s - article is at: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19740318&id=v68qAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9lsEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5755,3799766

Apparently the closing pins on his belly reserve were too short and popped while he was in the door pulling him out the aircraft - and some of the door frame too I am told. I believe he is lucky to be alive.

As part of his surprise I would like to remind all there that they are very lucky to be able to celebrate his birthday with him. Could anyone supply any more information on Andy's accident (a pic of the aircraft would be fantastic). PM of you don't want all to see.

Or if you know Andy and have a humorous anecdote that I could mention that would be be good too.

Colin

Andy wanted to try out his new 8 MM motion picture helmet mounted camera by filming a static line student. After the student climbed out on the step Andy leaned way out the door and yelled 'Go'. As the student exited and arched Andy was trying to keep him in the sight frame. Andy dragged his chest reserve handle on the door frame opening his reserve container! He did not realize what was happening as he was consentrating on keeping the student in focus. The student's rig, sleeved 7TU 28', deployed normally. Andy's spring loaded MA1 pilot chute pulled the 23' Tri-con out of the container and up over the right horozontal stabilizer, and Andy around and partialy through the right door post.
The door post looked as though it had been hit with a telephone pole putting a large u-shaped bend in it! Doc A., the pilot, stated that the arelion controls became very heavy and stiff, but, he was able to maintain control of the C-180. The 23' hung on the tail for a short time and then came free. All of this took place at 2800 ft/AGL. Andy had been stunned by the impact at about 1200' he pulled his main ripcord deploying his sleeved PC. This wrapped around the partially inflated reserve. The reserve would re-inflate and everything would rotate 2-3 revoloutions and then the canopy would streammer for a couple of seconds. Then it would catch air and everything would start over, spin, streammer, re-inflate. Andy impacted the soft field between Sam's club and I-45 on a re-inflation sequence. He was ex-airborne and did the best PLF of his life.
His Bell helmet was knocked backwards off of his head and he was chokling to death on the chin strap. Help was at his side within 15 seconds of impact. Once the chin strap was removed he started breathing without dificulity. He was banged up pretty good but concious and alert. A shot of bourbon and a ride to the hospital for x-rays. A couple of compression fx's in the lumbar spine, and some cracked ribs (FROM THE DOOR POST) were the only broken bones. No reported internal injuries except a little pericardial bleeding. He walked back to work a couple of weeks later.
The plane was repaired and flying jumpers in about a month.