PatrickW2

Darbydale, Ohio 1960s (Columbus Skydivers)

For those who remember (and those who do not) the first Columbus Skydivers DZ in Darbydale, here's an animated GIF alternating an aerial view I took of the DZ in 1965 with a Google Earth view of the same area these days:
http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/keep/dzoldnew1.gif

I've scanned about 150 pictures taken at the DZ back then (12 MB total). If anyone wants them just let me know and I'll email them your way. I'm at [email protected].

Patrick Wiggins
USPA Lifer 444

I remember going to a water jump "meet" in 1967 at a place I believe was called "Wildwood Lake." I believe it was hosted by this same group.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

When I started jumping with the Columbus Skydivers Billy Cook didn't have his DZ anymore. The only other DZ around Columbus was in a place called Grist Mill started by Gene Taylor and someone named Steve.

The DZ in Darbydale was on Norton Road, now there's a Fire Department and houses. I found concrete pieces of the club house foundation in the ditch by the road when I went back there in 1987. Google Earth shows more houses now and you can see what used to be the entrance to the DZ.

When I was visiting Green County in Xenia Ohio in July 2007 Jim West told me the Columbus Skydivers had a reunion at his DZ in 2006.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.