CDRINF

TRANSPO '72

Anyone here jump at the TRANSPO '72 airshow at Dulles Airport?

I was 8 years old, living in Arlington, VA at the time. My neighbors took me, since my Dad was in Vietnam. I remember watching the skydiving demo with great fascination. It was the first time I had seen skydiving "live." A lot of us kids went running out to the landing area after the landing. I remember being even more fascinated by these wild, hippie looking guys all geared up in their kit. They all seemed absolutely thrilled by the jump they just made. I distinctly remember the huge smiles on their faces.

It was probably part of what started me down the road of becoming a skydiver. Just wondered if any of you were there.

CDR

Yes I believe I did. If I remember right a fighter crashed in the woods and after ejection the pilot drifted into the wreckage under canopy. Long lines to the way cool exibits put me off of any future trips to Disneyland.But it was a great show, Dullus was very new too .
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards

I was in Transpo 72 (July 1972), it was the world's biggest air show. Both President Nixon and Vice President Agnew were there.

The first half had the Navy Blue Angles the second half the Air Force Thunderbirds. The Army Golden Knights did shows all week. Military and Civilian aircraft were there from all over the world. Air Races too.

Long hair Hippie relative work National Champion Skydivers were flown in from California for speed stare demonstrations.

We jumped a Dehavlan Buffalo from Canada and a US Air Force C-130. I did 5 jumps from the C-130 including the 62 jumpers mass exit from a single aircraft, my first World Record in Skydiving.
I also did many accuracy jumps for the crowd from a Cessna 182 flown by Doc. Fetch.

All jumps were free.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

> speed stare demonstrations.

Yeah, those were pretty intense. Some of those guys
could stare at you for over 2 hours in less than 8 seconds.

I really liked the C-130.

I seem to remember each engine having over 4,000 horsepower,
and with just 50 or 60 people instead of serious cargo they took
off and climbed like they were practically empty.

And I remember the excitement of standing on that giant tailgate,
with my toes hanging over the edge, looking back at Stan Hicks
spotting out of the side door talking to the pilot with what looked
just like an ordinary telephone, waiting for his left arm to drop.

Those are strong memories even after all this time.
  • Like 1