skydiver30960

Old DZ in Darbytown, OH?

I had a conversation with my dad's new wife. He and I arean't too very close, so it's the first time I've really had a chance to talk to her. She mentioned that she actually did some jumping (mostly static lines by the sound of it) at a DZ in Ohio, and I THINK she said Darbytown. We didn't get into dates, but she said it was "during college" so I'd guess late 60's or early 70's.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Google search shows a lake Darby in Ohio, but nothing pops up for Darbytown.

I just thought if anyone had any old pics of the DZ or good stories about the locals she may have known or whatever that I'd forward them on to her for kicks.

Thanks;

Elvisio "first post in this forum means :D" Rodriguez

The place was Darbydale Ohio, The club was "The Columbus Skydivers". I did my first jump there in August 1969 while on Active duty with the US Air Force at Lockbourne AFB Ohio, now called Rickenbacker International Airport.
I quit jumping with them for several reasons in 1970 and became a member of Greene County in Xenia Ohio.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Yeah, Steve Noonan and I both started jumping at Darbydale, me in 1968 while a UofCincy student. Quite a rag tag group.

I'll see if I can find a couple of photos from back then.

What is (or was) her name??

Potenza, Hensel, Rudy Samples, John Simpkins, Pete Potee (manifest), Mert Offet, Larry Jonas, Luther

And Carol Este, the first California girl I had ever met. Definitely not a midWestern girl. Heard she killed herself over a guy (Jim Johnson).

How long ago was all that?!?!?

Bill

Thanks for the info everyone. Her name is Kim. As far as her maiden name, I'm not sure. I'll drop her a line and post it here if she gets back to me.

The pics would be a blast: both for her and for me, who loves seeing pics of the old ways.

Elvisio "sometimes I miss the cessna dz vibe" Rodriguez