SEREJumper

Vintage U.S. Army Parachute Team (APT) Equipment

I thought I would post a few pics of a couple of old school rigs I just picked up. These were made by Pioneer for the U.S. Army parachute team. Looks like a green mini-system.

Poynter's Manual has some good info on the different types. The rig on the left seems to be an earlier model container (no markings), but and has a one piece saddle harness, 3-pin ripcord and retrofit for the belly reserve to be anchored higher under the capwells. Has the name "MCNATT" on the left capwell, this came from around the Ft. Bragg area (Home of the Golden Knights). Inside is a single MA-1 and an MC-3 in a POD.

The rig on the right is a APT-5 3-pin container, same one piece harness. Interesting to find out that the cloth on the bottom of this container has an asbestos lining to help prevent the smoke grenade on the feet from burning the parachute. Talk about hazardous packing! Different type of retrofit for the reserve, this one has an MA-1 PC and the MC-3 is in a sleeve.

Both systems are in excellent condition for their age. Just thought I would share with you all some history.

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Gearpics/Vintage%20Military/
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar