dthames

Nerdish review of canopy flight

Is there any way of getting accurate height readings at points along your flight line, not just at deployment, for example to see the effectiveness of brakes vs rear risers for increasing range?

I have been thinking about this question. It is hard to tell looking at the data what you were doing and when you did it. However, the Flysight is very flexible in how it can be set up. Conditions under canopy vary a lot and I don't think even for a given person and canopy that the answer is always rears or always brakes. The Flysight can be set for Glide Ratio. Set in this mode with a range and tones across 3 octaves are spread across this range. With earphones plugged in you can sort of hear the glide ratio. During a given canopy flight, you could go to brakes, then go to rears, and hear a tone (higher pitched for higher numbers) telling you if your glide was better or not. Even doing this you have wind at different directions and speeds that confuse the issue. But real data driving the tones in real time is something well within the ability of the device.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”