Jim_Hooper

Try again

I remember the magic forrest with fondness. I can't remember the guy's name I used to hang with there, maybe someone else can help with that. He was in charge of the grounds at Tampa International Airport.

Rog - that was Kurt 'Capn'n Kirk' Johnson, who hung out with Chip McCloskey and Peter Gabrial (who painted the first rainbow Z'hills on the old building.) Now, as to the identity of the lady, I'm intrigued.

Hoop

Wow Hoop, between the several of us that frequent these forums, I think we almost make up one good brain :)
As for the lady, there were three young ladies that came over from the Orlando area as students. All three were attractive as I recall, but the one in question was Becky (long curly blonde hair). I had jumpmastered for one or more of them, but I don't remember paying any particular attention at the time probably thinking I had no chance with all the other studs around. Sometimes that works I guess...

I still have my little black book (mine is actually red) which has all three of their names. I'll try and dig it up and report back. Maybe you'll remember them.

Anyway, the magic forrest certainly lived up to it's name that night for me :)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Ah yes. Becky Peightal.

I'm almost afraid to ask why you remember...

Interestingly, I have it written as Tieghtal. I have no idea which is correct though; I may have written it from her saying it rather than spelling it.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

The Magic Forest was indeed a magic place. For location, see attached graphic. There used to be a small lake in our back yard (in New England it would be called a pond). You can see the Google Earth view of where the lake dried up in the second attachment. Monthly rent for our house was $105. Out back we kept our giant pet frog Leroy. He weighed 37 pounds and we got him in Nogales while we were out at Marana, AZ for the '69 Nationals. Leroy caused quite a stir in Lutz back then. Genus and Species as I recall were Buffo Marina.

He scared the crap out of a lot of folks before they realized he was ceramic....

I was in the front yard one day when Paul Rice flew through the yard at tree top level. He was in Jeff Searles' 182 and definitely got the attention of the neighbors.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

The Magic Forest was indeed a magic place. For location, see attached graphic. There used to be a small lake in our back yard (in New England it would be called a pond). You can see the Google Earth view of where the lake dried up in the second attachment. Monthly rent for our house was $105. Out back we kept our giant pet frog Leroy. He weighed 37 pounds and we got him in Nogales while we were out at Marana, AZ for the '69 Nationals. Leroy caused quite a stir in Lutz back then. Genus and Species as I recall were Buffo Marina.

He scared the crap out of a lot of folks before they realized he was ceramic....

I was in the front yard one day when Paul Rice flew through the yard at tree top level. He was in Jeff Searles' 182 and definitely got the attention of the neighbors.

One afternoon he buzzed over my house in the DC-3. I forget who was there at the time, Tony Patterson or Lou Howell. That was impressive as well. I wonder where Paul is these days. Is he still alive?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Last I heard Paul was the guest of the government somewhere in NC but that was decades ago.

At the Nationals in Talequah in 1975 (?) the entire ZHills team was leaving in the DC3 to go home. Paul leveled off at the far end of the field came down the runway at an altitude of maybe ten feet then banked toward the tower. He pulled up hard and lifted the right wing over the windsock. Just before the plane stalled he leveled it off and headed back for Florida. I was driving back so I got to witness the stunned expressions of those on the ground. Riding with Paul was never dull.
DZGone.com

I wonder where Paul is these days. Is he still alive?

As we departed Tahlequah that year, Revis and I were standing behind Pablo as he levelled out and headed for the competitor's tent. "A hundred bucks if you knock it down," Billy said, "a thousand if you go under it." And for a moment, I definitely thought we were. According to Jack Bergman, USPA's treasurer at the time, it was just about the most heart-stopping buzz job anyone had ever seen. The FAA was really grumpy. On the way back to Z'hills, he got exceptionally frisky with the DC-3 and we put together the first-ever zero-G ten-man - 11 with Mary Donnan - with cases of Coors floating all around the cabin. The trick was not being under one when he eased out of the dive.

This was the same genius who, rumor had it, took some happy snaps of himself and others somewhere way down south sitting on big bales of agricultural product and surrounded by lots of automatic weapons brought in to barter, and then put the film through Eckards for processing. "My, my, that's an intersting shot," someone at Kodak quality control is reputed to have said. "Let's make sure Mr Rice gets one, but let's do a copy for DEA and maybe one for US Customs, too. Oh, and there's another good one!"

Cut to: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, just because my client has a condo in Vale, another in Miami Beach, a home in North Carolina, a Ferrari, a Maserati, the first V-12 E-Type Jaguar in Florida, and a brand new Corvette should in no way suggest that he is other than a hard-working small businessman. And besides, can the prosecution prove beyond all reasonable doubt that those are real bales of marijuana or real machine guns?" Nice try, but ...

Click-click, SLAM! Bye-bye, Pablo. The grumpiness exhibited by the FAA at Tahlequah was nothing compared to what his buddies in the photos must have felt after that teensy-tiny lapse in judgement. If I'm not mistaken, Paul Rice died of a heart attack 20+ years ago. It was an interesting cast of characters back in the early '70s.

Hoop

Hoop, you have a phenomenal memory. I indeed recall Paul showing up on successive weekends in a Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, and Corvette. He let me drive the Vette. I asked him the source of his good fortune and he said he was importing tropical fish. At the Nationals he pointed to a picnic table and said "I bet you $5 you can't do a back flip off that". I said, "You know I can". He bet anyway. He was throwing money away. At some point he hooked up with Bonnie Searles and then went in the Federal Pen. I didn't know he had died.
DZGone.com

Just got back from the NASTAR Nationals in Steamboat Springs, CO. I'm happy to report that I picked up my fourth National age group championship in snowboarding but tangled with a gate in one of my ski races and fractured my ankle. Climbing the podium with crutches was a little challenging but there was no lack of former US Olympians to help me up. Four time Olympian A. J. Kitt is in the lower left of the attached photo.

Penny and I are still coming to Tampa on the 8th for anyone who wants to get together.

Ciao,

Pat
DZGone.com

Guess I have material for a new chapter "Lifetime Injuries" in my book. The ortho just called to say he now wants to do a CAT Scan. I may have to have surgery after all.

I was a lot happier in this picture. Note the caption.....

We're still coming to Tampa next week.
DZGone.com