howardwhite

Jim Bates

Jim Bates has been active in the skydiving community for 45 years -- as jumper, rigger, judge, historian, and prolific author. His wife, Marge, has asked me to share information about his current medical problems.

===
Jim has had a huge open heart surgery. He had an aortic valve replaced, mitral valve repaired and 3 by-passes,. Surgery went well, he developed pneumonia etc and has been in CICU since Dec. 11, 2006. He went into the hospital on Nov. 28....He is making very slow progress, he is extremely depressed, he can't talk because he has a temporary trach. Hope to have a talking valve in next week he has a feeding tube and is extremely weak. Mind is clear and alert when he is awake. He has a long road to go but the doctor tells me he expects Jim to walk out of the rehab hospital. So say a prayer....
Cards would be wonderful.
He is in St Francis Hospital
114 Woodland Street
Hartford CT 06105

Looking for these blue skies and warmer breezes.

======

Marge has given me phone numbers where she can be reached at most any time - she's staying in the hospital's hospitality suite. As I am reluctant to post phone numbers here, please PM me if you want numbers where you can call Marge.

HW

Jim has been writing history documents with Dan Poynter for the PIA Historical committee for the last 3 or 4 years. One printed in 2004 is "Parachute History, Lore, and Stories - Beginnings" copyright James M. Bates 2004 by Clay Hill Press, Windsor Locks, Conn. Don't know if this is available, I got mine from Jim as a PIA committee chairman. Jim has a list of 30 or 40 different topic he is planning.

We'll miss him and Marge next week in Reno.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have been calling Marge and talking with her every week over the past month. She is also in tears and severely depressed. She especially fears that she is losing Jim because of the medical problems and his depression over not getting better. Marge and Jim have been great help at the PIA symposium press room these past many sessions and they will both be missed at this one. It will be very tragic to lose Jim for us in the skydiving community as well as Marge. Let's all pray for both of them.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook