kenneth21441

CSM S. Matos

Was wondering if any one knew the details of what happened to Santos Matos in Z hills tandem>

Ive heard that he had a heart attack but did not ever get the full details.

Does any one have a old photo of him... He was a great man whom I had the pleasure of meeting once well working with that is. and when I heard of his death in 91 was sad to see him go.:(

They even named the DZ after him at Mcdill AFB, that I had jumped at in 94 when attending jump master school there...
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

I jumped with him at Fort Campbell in the late '80's when I was just starting out. It's been a long time, but I recall hearing of the incident and reading the report in both "Parachutist" and "Skydiving." That would have been sometime between July '01 and Feb '02 since I remember I was at Benning at the time I read of it. I recall that a heart attack may have been involved, and if memory serves, that his gloves were found off his hands and wedged in the passengers harness, which was odd. If you can find back issues from that period, you should be able to find the report.

CDR