Tinkerbelle

Where's Bill Ottley - Respect your skydiving elders!

Tink,
I couldn't agree more! It seems the sport has changed so much, that a reflection on the past of the sport has been completely overlooked. I for one have ALWAYS respected the elders (of all genres) and especially in skydiving since I lived thru some of the ground breaking years. I've known many of those people you talk about, Bob Sinclair and Roch Charmet (world record holder for most jumps) lived at my DZ in the 80's and it was a honor to know him, and seeing him in the 90's was rewarding for both of us. I've actually had the pleasure and honor of giving a couple of veteran skydivers there first CRW jumps since that's what I was known for.
God bless the elders of our sport, I thank them for the many good memories they have given me and others a like.
B|

The last couple times I saw Bill Ottley he was having some trouble getting around, and didn't seem very happy. I am worried about him. Does anyone know where he is, what he's up to, or how he's doing?

Check out the Pelicanland-Ridgeley, MD in History part of this site and it mentions WHO's funeral. I remember him from Pelicanland days 72-73...he was an icon.

It would help if you would learn to use the "Quote" function here when you're quoting, as in this case, from a three year old message. It took a little bit of head-scratching to figure out that it was not you who were concerned about Bill Ottley's health.

For the record, Bill died in late 2005 and was memorialized in great style in an event held in May, 2006, in conjunction with the dedication of the new USPA headquarters in Virginia.

The celebration of WHO's life took place in a tent on the site of the future skydiving museum. Its construction will fulfill his long-time dream.

HW