lawrocket

The Fan Man - 10 years ago

Is there anyone here who does NOT remember the "Fan Man?"

Dateline November 6, 2003 - Las Vegas, Nevada.

During the championship fight between Riddick Bowe and Evander Holyfield, parachutes became news again when James Miller crashed his fan-powered paraglider into the ring in the seventh round.

Miller's etiquette was quickly corrected, as he was immediately accosted and beaten unconscious by angry fans, as well as Bowe's entourage. The fight was suspended for about 20 minutes.

Fan Man made more appearances over a Raiders game (my beloved Raiders simply suck this year) and landed on the roof at Buckingham Palace, where he was deported with orders to never return to jolly old Blighty.

Like Lawn-Chair Larry, life was not too kind to him in the future. He eventually committed suicide outside of Anchorage, Alaska in late 2002, following a series of health and financial problems.

I didnt' like Fan Man, nor what he did. Bu he sure did achieve some notoriety. I remember watching the fight and was stunned by what happened. I thought it was an absolutely crazy sports moment.

Anyone else have memories of the guy or the incident?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Last night on ESPN, there was a short portion of Sportscenter devoted to Fan Man. I remember when he landed on that fight, but I hadn't heard about his other antics. I think Fan Man is kinda cool. He did what he wanted to do, and spend some jail time for it. Thats the cost for your 15 minutes of fame sometimes. It's too bad he ultimately took his own life. Sounds like he spent lots of time training people to fly powered parachutes.
Mad props for Fan Man!!!:P

Larry Walters has the (unofficial) altitude record for gas-filled clustered balloons. It must be an illness or a meme or something, because I've thought of pulling the same stunt for years. Of course, I'm stupid, I dunno what Larrys' problem was. :D

Let's see,
Rig (check)
Deluxe chaise lounge (check)...

Of course, I'm stupid, I dunno what Larrys' problem was. :D

reply]

Sounds like he was searching for attention. Lot's of people never got much when they were a kid. It's something that can stick with you, like glue all your life. Too bad he didn't get some therapy. Sounds like a cool guy....Steve1

Go HERE for more inspiration than you're likely to need

It must be an illness or a meme or something, because I've thought of pulling the same stunt for years

If you searchthe links, there are alos "real" balloon envelopes without a basket, per se...sorta like a legit Lawnchair Larry B|

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)