sweeney

who were the first 8-way world champs

The meet in 1975 was won by the US team, Capt. Hook and the Sky Pirates. The also won the 4 way event. Round, back loop, round, back loop.
Sparky

Mike, I think the 4 way at the '75 World Meet was won by the U.S. Team, but they were The Rainbow Flyers. I can't remember his name anymore, but one of those guys played a big role in getting AFF started in the U.S. before he died in a balloon crash.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Mike, I think the 4 way at the '75 World Meet was won by the U.S. Team, but they were The Rainbow Flyers. I can't remember his name anymore, but one of those guys played a big role in getting AFF started in the U.S. before he died in a balloon crash.

According to my shakey memory... The Rainbow Fliers were... Ken (Mr AFF) Coleman, Rocky Evans (also hurt in the same crash that killed Ken), John with white hair, and another possibly Hoot Gibson?... As I recall they were also the DelRay Aerial Circus.

Can Ya'll say HOG FLOP??? That's what we called round/backloop/round.

The hot tip was to keep your chin tucked during the backloop. You'd go around much faster and stay much closer. Try it!!!

Jon

The Rainbow Flyers were Sam Brown, Rocky Evans, Ken Coleman and Don Carpenter. I've been dragging my feet for several months on putting together a history of 4-way in the 70's, which is when it did most of its evolution.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History