jaymundo

Masters of the sky

I have it on vhs, along with its predecessor "Sky Capers" and follow-ons "Wings" and "Skydive!" Not for sale, and I'm reluctant to copy copyrighted stuff, so you'll need to come to Skydive Twin Cities to see it. You should wait until May or June, though.

Mark

See the earlier thread in Skydiving History and Trivia on Boenish videos.... After all these years they are still great movies!!!!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I just did some more searching to find a source for any of these videos...Masters of the Sky, Skydive, etc....as I would also like to make some additions to my video library. This time I came up with a listing on a High Time Skydiving website that has all of these films/videos listed but I don't know if they actually sell them. Here's the website

I might give them a call in the am to see if they actually sell any of this stuff.

Murray

:)
"You can be FREE, You can If you try"
there's just no place that youuuuuu
can't fly"""...:ph34r:..
The Lyrics to Carl B's Classic film,,,, (and it WAS film,,,,,)
Masters of the Sky.. I went to an informational
meeting about skydiving,,,,,over 30 years ago,,, at which this movie
(then on 16mm reels) was shown..... WOW!!!!
To an impressionable teenager like I was,,:S,,,, the impact was HUGE..:o..
To see jumpers flying around and making 10 way stars and 12 way stars and 16 way stars,,,,,,, It just opened my eyes!!!.... So UP I went,,,:) and the rest is history........I made my first airplane ride, and my first static line jump at the same time,,(within One week of seeing this film), Hell I had over 150 jumps before, I ever LANDED in a plane......hahaha... Masters of the Sky!!
The next time you're at the DZ and an OLD timer says, "hey anybody wanna see this OLD movie...."
be sure NOT to dismiss it,,,,,,simply because" It doesn't have any freeflyin' in it" !!...... It is classic, and will show new timers,,,,,just what it was that the pioneers of YOUR sport,,,, went through (in terms of gear, aircraft, and techniques) to bring the sport to the point where SO
many people can now enjoy it. ;)
skydive softly, skydive often, skydive with friends.

Here is a link to a website in Germany that sells PAL versions of virtually everything including Masters of the Sky. I called to a local conversion place up here in Canada and the charge to convert 1 hour to mini-dv was $15 for dubbing plus $12 for the tape, total $27 Canadian or about $17 U.S.

Anybody have any experience with PAL conversions...is the quality ok or are there problems due to the different frame rates of PAL (24 fps) to NTSC (29.97 fps)?

I think I remember this one, but my CRS disease has taken a turn for the worse. Did it have a scene where a jumper goes through another canopy in slow motion? There was also a scene of some people at a par-ski meet, and another scene where some gal was kyssing some guy in a motorcycle helmet after landing. (I still remember all the good parts). At any rate if that is the movie, I watched it about a 1,000 times back in the 70's. Steve1

Steve - go back and read through the 'Old Boenish videos' thread in History and Trivia - you'll see that I posted a pic of the 2-way going through a canopy and Skratch actually chimed in with some of his memories of the actual jump and the dropzone...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

SkyPuppy,
I haven't seen those pictures in 30 years. I guess it was a two way going through a canopy rather than a single jumper. Although my memory is fading, I still recall the sound affects of screeching tires and tearing material that went with that scene. I'd love to watch that movie again. Steve1

I still have a 16mm copy of "Wings".When I started jumping in 1978 I was working for Russell Film Labs in Jacksonville,Florida.At the time,affordable VCR's didn't exist and it was actually cheaper then to make a dupe 16mm print.Now if I could just resurrect one of my projectors...

Wouldn't it be fairer to call Jean Boenish and actually buy the films?

Last year I wrote Jean a letter asking about how to purchase copies and never received a response.

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

In 1980, during a boogie in Dallas, I won a door prize, which was a gift certificate from McElfish Parachute Supply. I used it to obtain the Boenish video that had Skydive, Wings, Masters of the Sky and Sky Capers. (as well as the base video, which I watched last night.) They were $80.00 back then.

After hitting a pick3 recently I bought a nice DVD recorder and saved the media by transferring it to DVD. I'll be bringing it out to Skydive Houston next time I come, and I'll probably have it on me where ever I travel in the future. (AZ and CA at Christmas)

I've tried to no avail to reach Michael Lloyd, who did the cool songs on the skydiving programs, in hopes of working out a deal to use the tunes on my own tapes. I had to settle for royalty buy out stuff that wasn't too bad.

Anyone know Michael Lloyd?
Ask him to call me. 713 CALL WEBB

Same for Jean Boenish.

:)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I remember back at Baldwin, Wis, when Randy Iverson owned the dz, I was 16 (1980). Gary Hoffman, his wife Christy, Swede, T-Bone, Vickey Churches, Quasy, and others would sit in the hanger and watch these old flicks and wait for thunderstorms to pass. By the time the ceiling lifted we were overdosed on these hot skydives (for that time), and horny to skydive, and we would find ourselves funnelling an 8 way from 9,500 to 3,500. Of course, our 8 ways were from Randy's 182 and Glen Timmers 180...aahhh, those were the days.