airdrew20012001

Newer skydivers - self regulate

Hey folks, this post is for the newer skydivers out there. This last weekend I saw a pretty experienced skydiver (500+) jumps taking a fairly inexperienced skydiver (less than 30 I think) on a freefly jump. The lesser experienced skydiver was wearing a student rig complete with the reserve side main deploy handle for AFF. I film AFF at the dz pretty regular along with tandems and the like and sometimes the flaps (main and reserve) come open. Personally I thought this was a bad idea and let the experienced skydiver know that in my experience the student rigs were not meant nor fit for the kind of speeds and directions that sitflying put on a rig.

Lesson: for you less experienced skydivers out there, just because someone has more numbers and holds ratings does not mean you should trut them blindly. The experienced skydiver agreed that it was not such a hot idea. After all, how is the newer skydiver going to check altitude? What if the main comes out when the newer skydiver is flailing about? On his or her back? Skydiving is an odd pursuit but do not leave your common sense at home. Always ask yourself: does this seem safe?

"Don't be that guy"
Drewfus McDoofus

Even with the right gear, a novice jumper has not developed the awarness for high speed flight. I know of so many jumpers with less than 50 jumps trying to go head down. Even with an experienced partner, advanced flight is premature for a novice.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish