shveddy

Aerograd Kolomna in the Winter?

I just found out that I have to use up some vacation time before the end of the year, so I'm on the hunt for an affordable dz and an affordable tunnel within a few hours flight of where I'm at.

As best as I can tell Kolomna fits those bills better than any other place, the only question that remains is how much jumping goes on in the brutal Russian winter?

Aerograd tends to be weekends only in the winter and of course is weather dependent. But there are plenty of good weekends where it is possibly to get 10 jumps or more over a weekend. Daylight hours can be pretty short at some times of the year, so that is a consideration.
Jumping when it is pretty cold on the ground (eg minus 25) is not too bad if you wear the right gear (several layers, winter gloves pus liners, I wear an open face helmet plus motorcycle-style face masks). The planes are very warm so no freezing to death on the way to altitude. It can be a bit chilly under canopy.
One consideration is that the DZ is not that close to the tunnel, so you would be looking at a pretty long drive (taxi) ride to get there. Given the hammering the Russian Ruble has had in recent months (down 30% on major currencies) the jumping and the tunnel will be VERY cheap right now for people who think in Euros, Sterling or USD.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

I started jumping in Wisconsin (-25 is common there), and I have a few hundred jumps in those kind of conditions. I actually kinda prefer jumping in a harsh winter because then you know everyone dumb enough to be on the plane is hardcore and really loves the sport ;)

Do I have to get a taxi to get to the tunnel? Is there public transportation between the DZ and Moscow? I'm thinking that I might spend a weekend jumping and a few days during the week at the tunnel so I would only be making a couple of longer trips and I don't mind if it's super inconvenient.

Is it possible to spend half a day at the tunnel and then travel to Moscow for the rest of the day and stay in Moscow for the night using public transportation? Or should I plan on just staying near the tunnel?

there is a train service between Moscow' Kurskyi Vokzal (Kurskiy Railway Station) and Kolomna. For 200-400 rubles (8-10 bucks) you will have a taxi ride to DZ from railway station. Also when you became more familiar with DZ, there always a bunch of ppl who will help you out and drive you back to Moscow.

Also there is a bus service to Chekhov (where tunnel is) from subway station Akademica Yangela Street; and, if asked, they will stop right next to the tunnel. Getting back is a tricky (you do not want to cross crazy Russian highway where everyone drive 150 kph with a 'f@ck rules' attitude) so get some lift from locals is a best bet. Taxi is quite expensive. Get in touch with Freezone staff, they will help you out. New freefly world champions like Alex Ragulin or Valery Konnov are great coaches, btw :) If you are into RW, there are also a list of world-class ppl from Barkli, Black Cat etc.