karakum

Which DZ in Europe?

I am surprised if a fun jumper could get 10-12 jumps a day at Empuria. I have visited Empuria on 6-8 separate trips and have never got anywhere close to that number of jumps per day as a fun jumper (one rig, packing for myself in 6-8 minutes).

I can do 10-12 jumps a day at my home DZ (sometimes 15) packing for myself, but that requires long hours of daylight, good weather and some luck with manifest. And my home DZ usually has 4-6 Let 410s operational (each with 20 jumpers) and an Mi8 helicopter (20 jumpers). So no shut downs for refuelling etc. Even with this, jumping more than once an hour on average over the course of a day takes some doing.

Empuria is marketed as a great DZ, but in my view, often by those who have a vested interest in attracting new jumpers there or by Brits who have limited experience of DZs outside of the UK. It is a good DZ, in a very pleasant town, with some great coaches etc and the addition of a wind tunnel is a great bonus, but I think things must have changed since I was last there if a fun jumper can realistically expect 10-12 jumps a day there (if doing coached jumps with a coach who can pre-manifest, things may be different of course).

So the comment that "You'll have no problem achieving what you want there" is a surprise to me.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

So the comment that "You'll have no problem achieving what you want there" is a surprise to me.

It is busy and if the wind picks up it knocks things on the head pretty quick so you are right.

Where else would you recommend in Europe as I am keen to find somewhere different that you can jump hard and preferably cheaply. I really don't care about wind tunnels. I have no idea why you'd want to fly in a tunnel when you are at a great DZ unless it was bad weather or you were team training.

And my home DZ usually has 4-6 Let 410s operational (each with 20 jumpers) and an Mi8 helicopter (20 jumpers).

Do you jump at Aerograd Kolomna? Been there. Jump tickets were amazingly cheap when I went but I think it's got more expensive now. Jumping the Mi-8 was great fun.

I am not sure where in Europe has the facilities to do 10-12 jumps a day. I like Empuria because of all the non-skydiving activities in the area, plus things like the coaching, the canopy school etc etc. But for me it is the sort of place to go for fairly relaxed jumping.

Aerograd in Kolomna (my adopted DZ in Russia) is somewhere that can help people to bang out a load of jumps. The most I did in 2 weeks of jumping (about 12 full days) was just over 120 jumps. But that was in summer, when the weather gods were not misbehaving. It is more expensive than it used to be but is still something like $20 to 13,500 and I think discounts apply for a block of 50 jumps. But most people will have to get a visa so it becomes a bit more difficult to travel to than a DZ in the EU.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example