Lokke

HELP! Last minute choice for AFF in North Cal.

Hello Everyone!
I am currently in Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, I am in California for another 10 days and at the last minute have time available to do my AFF. I have never even jumped tandem but am very confident that I will want to continue and get my AFF.

What I am looking for: A reasonably priced drop zone, in Northern California preferably, where I can either stay on site or very close by for a reasonable cost and is not in the middle of nowhere or has transport arrangements. I am on a budget and would like to avoid having to add the cost of a rental car to the 5-6 days it may take to complete my training.

I have a good sleeping bag but am not really set up for cold weather camping and cooking.

It would be nice to be able to hang out with people in the evenings but not necessary. I am really excited and am ready to get started as early as two to three days from now.

Any help or suggestions that could be provided would be most appreciated!

Hello Everyone!
I am currently in Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, I am in California for another 10 days and at the last minute have time available to do my AFF. I have never even jumped tandem but am very confident that I will want to continue and get my AFF.

What I am looking for: A reasonably priced drop zone, in Northern California preferably, where I can either stay on site or very close by for a reasonable cost and is not in the middle of nowhere or has transport arrangements. I am on a budget and would like to avoid having to add the cost of a rental car to the 5-6 days it may take to complete my training.

I have a good sleeping bag but am not really set up for cold weather camping and cooking.

It would be nice to be able to hang out with people in the evenings but not necessary. I am really excited and am ready to get started as early as two to three days from now.

Any help or suggestions that could be provided would be most appreciated!

http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/North_America/United_States/California/index.html

Find a DZ here, cross check it with its history here as well. If you have any doubts about the DZ's A/C Maintenance, gear or Instructors give it a pass, no mater how cheap.

If any respectable Instructor says they wouldn't let a member of their family jump there, give it a pass.

If the FAA has an open book of fines on them, pass.
Negative press for failure to follow industry Standards, pass.

Good luck!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I am in California for another 10 days and at the last minute have time available to do my AFF. I have never even jumped tandem but am very confident that I will want to continue and get my AFF.

the 5-6 days it may take to complete my training.

First off, it might take longer than you are budgeting for time. Rushing through your trinaing, or even trying to, is not going to help you.

Find a DZ near where you are staying, go for the day and take the AFF level 1 class. You'll be in the classroom for most of the day, and make your frist jump when your done. See what you think then, and go from there. You're not doing yourself any favors by comitting to finishing your training in 'x' number of days, or even comitting to one DZ. What if you get there, set up camp, and find out you don't like the people, the vibe, or the instructors?

Finally, avoid Lodi. Yes, it's cheap, and there's a reason for that, they don't do the (costly) required maintenance on their aircraft. I know you're wearing a parachute, but when a wing falls off at 500ft, everyone is going to die no matter what they're wearing. The FAA fined the owner close to $700,000 becuase the maintenance shortcomings were that severe.

In addition to Sacramento, you might also check out Skydance in Davis, CA. Camping, showers, on-site cafe, not too far (though you will need a car) from Davis itself. They'll take good care of you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke