dimap

ideas for Florida

At the end of November (11/27-12/3), I plan to drive with couple of friends from Boston to the Deland drop zone. I will spend a day there. After that I will have 5-7 days and planned to spend them driving to and jumping at different drop zones.
Would appreciate any ideas or advices on where to go and what to try.
Thank you

Here's my suggestion:

From DeLand, you can go south on I-4 and go to the tunnel in Orlando, then make a stop at Lake Wales. Since it will be a weekday, you better call and see if they're jumping in case they don't have any loads going up.

Next, head on over to the west coast and jump at Z-hills. Skydive Tampa Bay is a small dz kind of nearby, you can check to see if they are jumping too.

After that, cross the state to the east coast and visit Sebastian. I'd tell you to go north on I-95 when you're done there and go to Skydive Space Center in Titusville, but I think you need a C license to jump there and your profile only lists a B.

So, skip Titusville and continue to had north on I-95 towards Palatka. It's a smaller dz, but with this plan you should be there on a weekend day when there should be plenty of jumping going on.

This plan has you ending up in the northern part of the state so you're closer to home for your drive back. If you have any rainy days, see if you can stop by the manufacturers in DeLand and Z-hills to pass the time and take a tour.

Have fun!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Skymama had some good advice for getting to as many Florida DZs as you can. The big three to visit in central Florida are DeLand, Sebastian and ZHills. Definitely make sure you check those three out. Give Sebastian a call about doing beach jumps while you're there too. :)

Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

great advice from skymama...each dz is
easy to get to... and very driveable...

if your time frame could be made LONGER... leave a few days early and visit dz's ON the WAY south...
Try to time your drives to allow
for visiting a number of active and popular dz's along the way... (many places jump on weekdays.)
even if you don't jump it could be a nice rest stop from "driving 24 consecutive hours"...[:/] and you're way better off taking 'sleeping breaks' on a dz as compared to a rest area....
You may even encounter riders, who can help with the gas or driving.. who knows???;)
if you need to push for time,, make the return trip non stop.. or else use it to hit any place you may have missed when heading south...
So grab a parachutist magazine ( it lists ALL the dz's including contact numbers and locations... ), a navigator, a couple of friends, and stop 2 or 3 times each way, during your drive...jump there, or not,,, stay a short while or longer. smile and meet some people,,,, and then on to the sunshine !!!!! and warm temps...

skydive safely... refer back to the forums here.. lots to be learned through them...

jimmy
a 3914
d 12122

I would advise Zhills first on your list. I tried to do the same thing this past December that you are doing, but over a 2.5 week span. Drove to Zhills first, and didnt leave for 6 weeks. That DZ has it all. Not that the others don't, but Zhills is great. Friendly people(in all disciplines), great vibe, and tons of experience.