skygirlpc

Tree Landing...

OK so, most of you will already be aware of all of this, but just in case and typing it helps remind me...

I had a tree landing this weekend in which I learned a lot! First of all I was jumping someone elses rig that I had not jumped before. When jumping a rig that is new to you, you should probably open a little higher. I wasn't thinking about it and threw out at about 3'000. Forgetting the fact that this chute has a thousand foot sniffle. I was in the saddle by 2'000, very low for me!

After spotting the dz I decided to try risking going over a bunch of trees instead of landing off in an open field. A mistake that I will not make again! Never risk it, make a landing plan that doesn't go over trees!

I had to have had angels watching over me! When I pulled I was not extremely stable and in a rig known for bad line twists. There is no reason that I shouldn't have had line twists, but it didn't twist at all! The rig was not damaged at all and I was not injured other than a few scrapes on my leg and really scaring my sister who was on the ground watching.

I am very thankful that everything worked out so good for me, but I also realize that it could have easily been a lot worse! Please when jumping new gear or a suit your not used to, please open high enough to give yourself time! And please plan a safe landing pattern! Landing off is so much better than pulling a rig out of the trees!

Danielle aka tree frog;)

in a rig known for bad line twists.

why jump it if it's prone to bad line twists? does the canopy need to be relined???

Edit: btw, i am glad you are ok ;)

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Sometimes the best lessons are a little painful...........glad you walked away! I've seen way too many people make serious errors trying too make it back. My two cents worth is land off and wait for a ride, or even thumb it, I've done both! It makes for great stories over beers!!
Blue Skies!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

I can remember my first (and only, so far) tree landing incident as though it was yesterday. Taught me a damn hard lesson that I have taken with me on on every single dive since. In retrospect it's one of those daaaaah things that is second nature to a lot of us now. I was doing AFF #2. Good fall, good pull (no twists or riser slaps), good opening, now it's time to release the brakes, flare, practice turns, etc., we all know the AFf drills. Well there I was basking in the glory of a beautiful day and I was was floating by myself thousands of feet in the air, and I was a Skydiver. It doesn't get much better than this! A few more lazy turns, flares, yada, yada. Was I paying any attention to heading you ask?? Noooo.. When I finally occured to me to head towards the DZ I looked below me, to the left, the right, and over my shoulder. Guess what I saw way over my shoulder?? DZ. A quick turn (into the wind), not a flat turn because I hadn't learned flat turns conserve precious altitude, and I'm on my way back. However, the DZ is coming up on the horizon, and I knew what that meant. OOPS! Well, time to do what I was taught... turn straight into the wind, pick out the biggest tree, slow way down, feet out in front, cover up face and chest, at contact grab something!! I never got to grab the tree trunk, the branches were dense and i didn't have the penetration. The canopy got hung up and for a few seconds I "hung around", glad to be alive and unharmed. Well, branches started snapping and I descended faster & faster. The branches stopped snapping (I was out of branches) and I dropped like a rock, landing flat on mt back with a good head smack. After thinking I was dead because I couldn't move (had the wind knocked out uf me), and also thinking I had bitten my tounge off, someone from the DZ stooped over me and said "breath". I walked back to the DZ. Thankfully the reserve cushioned teh fall, and the ugly ProTec helmet saved my brains. Lesson learned... Pick out the DZ in free fall, as soon as canopy is open head for the DZ then play, wear a helmet (I will never jump don't have to convince me), learn from the experienced jumpers and instructors how to conserve altitude and extend glide before you get in the air. Yup, hind sight is always 20/20. Hopefully someone really new will see this and learn something.

Hehe, congratulations on your tree landing (and also your survival). I had mine on jump 55 after I spent too much time fixing my altimeter (the velcro came loose in freefall and the damn thing was bouncing on my hand, showing altitudes from -500 to 2000 meters, had to hold it steady with my other hand the whole time) while flying downwind. I would have made it to a clearing, but I tried to get more upwind penetration by pulling down the front risers (a thing you probably shouldn't do when above a wooded area). Anyway, the trees were low enough for me to reach the ground (it was, btw, the softest landing ever), but the branches were real thin and sharp, so I had two fine hours of entertainment while getting the canopy (a huge student Skymaster) down.
You can guess the beers were on me that night. Also, I earned (along with a million little scratches and bruizes) the titles Tarzan and Squirrel-killer.

So what I learned is this; always triple-check your gear (including your alti), never fly too far downwind from the landing zone, and remember that it's better to walk back to the dz for twenty minutes than to spend two hours in the treetops rescuing your canopy.

I had my first by proxy. The first student I ever radio talked down as an unassisted instructor that is! 1st timer, he flew a good pattern but the winds were light and he was going to land deep. He didn't do any S turns as I requested as he only pulled the toggles on the student manta 280 down about an inch, he ignore my requests to pull them all the way down. He did follow my instructions to execute a 90 left turn just prior to hitting the very prickly hedge - I was going to land him crosswind, and then his own mind took over and he turned 90 right straight back into the hedge. I could have died as I felt the telemeters burning into my back :$ Then I remembered I had another 6 1st timers above him all relying on me. He was fine although a bit scratched up.

It took me over an hour to get that canopy out of the hedge, and it cost me beers, hehe :ph34r:

Rich M

I had mine on jump 55

That is so weird, mine was on jump 54, maybe it as to do with experience? Yeh, I know I really owe on this one.

It has only been 5 days and all my scrapes are pretty much healed up. I really got out of that with a lot less problems than I should have!

It does make for a pretty entertaining story even if it is at my embaresment!:$

Danielle aka Treefrog

Pick out the DZ in free fall

Yup! I notice where the DZ is in the plane, find it while in free fall, and then after I've opened and checked my air space (before I've collapsed my slider and released my brakes); thus I always know where I want to land.

Now surley someday somethign will hapen and I will know where the DZ is and also know that I will not make it back, and thus I study my outs as well.

Congrats on the beer tree landing, glad everythign worked out fine.

.:skip