lippy

Look before you pull!!!

This is good information in a number of different areas, but I'm talking specifically about cutaway/reserve handles. I was just looking at some freefall pictures I have, and all of us in the 4-way had our cutaway handles flipped around by the wind. In the event of a high speed mal, that ain't gonna be where you reach out of instinct (at least I wouldn't). A lot of people will probably argue that they won't cutaway in a high speed, cause it's a waste of time. That's another argument in itself, but soft reserve handles are becoming increasingly popular, and they'd have the tendency to do the same thing. I'll admit that I had my first mal last week and I just reached, and luckily they were right where my hands went for them. But before I started looking for my free-bag I was kicking myself for not looking first, and for not verifying the main was gone before pulling silver. Just some food for thought...
I got nuthin

Thats something that scares me a little since I can't really see my handles wearing my Z1. Last saturday I came within about a second of my first cutaway. I touched my cutaway handle for my first time ever in freefall (Didn't use it... no beer :)
(It was a pilot chute in tow, which fixed itself right when I grabbed the handle. That was my second PC in tow on this rig. Had my PC replaced after the last one. I have no clue what caused this one. Yes, the PC was cocked.)

Dave

(It was a pilot chute in tow, which fixed itself right when I grabbed the handle. That was my second PC in tow on this rig. Had my PC replaced after the last one. I have no clue what caused this one. Yes, the PC was cocked.)

Yo Pilot Dave

Take a good look at where you place the bridle when you push it under the side flap. A reflex has a very square corner on the bottom flap of the rig. It's easy to push the bridle past that corner and have it hang up on it, causing a pilot chute in tow. In fact, while on the ground push it up over that flap intentionally and pick up your rig with the bridle. It's very educational. (I better say this or some one else will...be sure to pull it back out from around the corner of the stiffener when you're done... Ok it was said.)

Take a look at that and let us know if you think that's what caused it. If so, you're not the first, or second, or.....

C-ya
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'll have to open it up and play with it a little to see if I might ever do that, but I dont think so. I think it had actually been packed by a rigger when it happened this time actually (not that he couldn't have made a mistake). My thinking is the problem is caused by the size of my d-bag. When I bought the rig, the rigger I bought it from gave me a d-bag that was a size bigger than necessary to make it easier for me to get the canopy in the bag. I've never had any problems bagging the canopy, and I'm a really bad packer, so I'm guessing the bag is quite a bit bigger than it really needs to be.

Just for the hell of it, while typing this, I decided to pull it open and take a close look. I pulled the pin easily, but I was able to lift the rig clear off the ground without extracting the d-bag. Assuming my PC makes about 70 lbs of force (a ballpark figure I've heard before), I can't imagine it should have too much trouble pulling the bag out. But should I be able to lift the rig off the ground like that?

Dave

If you do another pull test have someone else wear the rig and lay face down on the floor. You will get a better read of the force required to extract the bag. It's more than you might think for a properly matched main canopy/ container size.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Couple of things. I jump a Z1 as well and it can make it difficult if not impossible to see your handles. One thing that I find is that arching helps to see them. Arching also helps you get back stable once you cut away and make for a clean reserve deployment. I have had PC in tow before which cleared. I arched to get the handles out from my chest & visible and grabbed them...started beating the shit out of my container to see if I could get the pin to pop...which it did. Sometimes I practice going for my handles just after I pull to simulate a high speed mal...making sure I can find them and not pulling them of course.:P

Take a good look at where you place the bridle when you push it under the side flap. A reflex has a very square corner on the bottom flap of the rig. It's easy to push the bridle past that corner and have it hang up on it, causing a pilot chute in tow.
[/reply

My Talon is also this way. I have to be very careful not to stuff the bridal too far up or this will happen. I think the newer Talons are different. Steve1