Ruffles

"Advanced" wingloading?

After 3 months (and 30 jumps) on my virtually new Silhouette 210, I just now read the actual spec sheet from PD in ParaGear and it shows me at an "Advanced" wingloading. My exit weight is 240, which puts me at like 1.1:1. The thing flies like a dream and all the landings have been stand up and non-scary. Is this a typo or did I just make an error getting this thing. I thought 1:1 was for new jumpers, and this is only loaded .01 above that. WTF?

Hi!

Well, those specs are only guidelines but every pilots is different, so there is different levels of skills, different hability to learn. Before buying a canopy or downsizing, it's always a good idea to talk with instructors that know your level and your skills.

Also, every canopies manufacturer have their own category of pilot, and they have their own specifications about their products and there is no standard, no rules how to exactly determine these specifications so they tend to reflect the "mentality" of the company, how they think their canopies will be suitable for a each category of pilots.

If you browse the web sites of all the canopies manufacturers, you'll find some companies who post "absolute" numbers, which means that they believe that the placarded maximum suspended weight is really what the canopy can carry; others companies may have a tendency to put conservative numbers to give a margin of security for the jumpers and to protect them against suing ("this jumper was way over the maximum load for his category so it's an evidence that we're not responsible for his crash...").

So if you ask WTF about these specs, the answer your instructors owuld give you should be based on all these elements.

Hope it helps ;)

Blue skies!!

S-P
===========================

I am a great fan of Silhouettes. They are larger canopies that perform like smaller ones, but are as forgiving as larger ones. I have a 170 that I use for demos. Under a Silhouette at 1.1 to 1, you're in the region of just beginning to transition from a shut-down flare to a planeout flare, and that's a good place to start from as long as you've mastered the basics on a larger canopy.

from a shut-down flare to a planeout flare

Can you pease explain the difference, english is not my first language.
I always thought that when you say about canopy "It is easy to shut it down, that you meant on bottom end lift (that canopie has great bottom end lift).
Guess that "shut it down" means different type of landing (like landings whit large 7cells)?

Thanks
I.P.