Akey

To Spain or not to Spain

Hi there
Since i can remember i have always wanted to skydive, and now i'm taking a gap year and have a little money i have decided to learn (took a tandem the other day and loved it). However, money IS something of an issue, so wanting to get as cheap a deal as possible. Skydive universityurlhttp://www.freefalluniversity.co.uk/pricestest.asp looks a good option for this reason. Only problem is i am worried about how my local DZ (north london) will look on learning abroad. Is there any stigma associated with doing your AFF in spain, or any other problems i may encounter by learning this way?

P.S-Can i have honest opinions please, not some of the fishy posts around this subject that have previously been posted...

I do not want to discourage you from starting jumping, it is something i love and im sure you will love it too.

But you must realise that this is not a cheap sport and going for the cheapest option is not always the best idea both because of safety and because of your learning.

Having said that i have heard very good things about free fall university from visiting skydivers and students like you and im sure they will offer you great training. I cant give you first hand info about the place as ive not been yet but it is certainly a DZ i want to visit. Take a look at the dropzone reviews section for some firsthand opinions of the place.

You should have no problem with getting qualified in spain and then jumping in the UK. The only possible probelm is that if you dont finish your course you may have to go back a level or two in your progression befor you can carry on training in the uk. but you should be able to get the entire course done easily if the weather is on your side.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it

Stephen

My experience, after completing AFF in South Africa but not the 10 consolidation jumps, was that some UK drop zones were not very helpful, but I eventually found one that was great. If you can complete AFF and get 10 consolidation jumps in before coming home that would probably help, as would having video footage of your jumps. Having said that, the place I learned was not affiliated to any UK drop zone, which may have made a difference. I would encourage you to ask lots of questions before you hand any money over.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example