klafollette

Colorado Jumping Scene?

I'm looking for some info on the Colorado jumping scene. To give you a frame of reference, I'm currently at a Super-Twotter DZ, doing mostly RW where we jump at 13.5K AGL (14K MSL). The loads turn constantly on the weekend, with a rare shut-down the whole day. RW organizing is great, regularly doing 4, 8, 10+, and occasional 20 ways.

So how do Colorado DZs compare? I've read a bunch of posts, but couldn't really get a feel for the type of jumping favored at each, how busy they are, or how easy to come in from out of town and get in on some jumps.

Looks like there are now 2 DZs; Longmont and Canon City. Brush and Calhan appear to be closed?

What altitudes (AGL/MSL) are typical? Do you have O2 available on the planes for us low-landers?

August 18-22, I will be vacationing in Estes Park, and planning 1 day of jumping; tentavely either Saturday or Sunday, unless something is going on at one of the DZs that would make a difference.

Check out Mile-hi in longmont. Havent been there since I moved out of state but they have a sick pond they are building and they have Arizona's otter there I heard plus there very own otter should be complete before to long. Busy DZ so the otter will be a big plus. Fast full time king air and good people. Clean and very nice facilities. I higly reccomend. I envy you for being in Colorado, but I will be back in about 1 /2 years. Goodluck!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

There are 3 CO dropzones, 2 in Canon City and Mile Hi.

Mile-Hi has Eloy's Otter for the weekends and flies the King Air during the week unless there isn't enough people/tandems in which case they will use their C206. The weekends are very busy with tons of students and tandems usually. If the Otter is flying it's not a big deal, but if only the KA is flying, expect to wait quite a while to get a call. There are occasionally LOs organizing belly fliers if that's your thing.

Canon's 2 DZs have a couple of C206s and a King Air which may or may not be flying I haven't been there for a while. The Caravan is gone. It wasn't very busy when I was there, but hey, they are primarily Cessna DZs after all.

At MileHi you get 12.5k AGL which is just under 18k MSL, I have never seen anyone use O2. I also jumped there coming from a relatively low MSL DZ at the time and never had a problem personally.
________________________________________________________________________________
when in doubt... hook it!

All about Mile Hi:

What altitudes (AGL/MSL) are typical? Do you have O2 available on the planes for us low-landers?

12.5K AGL, 18K MSL.

O2 is on the plane if you ask.

Every Otter or KA load will have fun jumpers - most loads will have a hop-n-pop or two for the swoop course, a 4 way group, some solos, some freefly, an AFF, a Tandem or two, and a wingsuit... Rarely sky-surf... Lots of weekends there are 8 ways every few loads... So you can see it all on one plane.

The pond is under construction, and it is going to be big. :P

Load organizing tends to be more impromptu "hey, wanna do a jump?"... On that note, PM me when you are in the "hood" and maybe we can do a jump...