iowa

premature opening

Had my first premature container opening on a tandem Thursday. Cleared nicely. It was on a Strong system with a Set 360 main.

Nice front loop exit out of a Porter, rock solid student with a good arch, perfectly stable, no rush for anything. Throw the drogue, feel the tug like normal and then something on my leg.

I'm thinking how the hell did I get the drogue around my left leg. Look back and see the the bag bouncing around. Only one thing to do, pull the handle and see what happens.

I wrapped my legs around the passenger anticipating a mal but was pleasently surprised to have a nice soft opening.

Best guess is the drogue bridal found some way of rubbing/pulling on the pin bridal as it was getting to full stretch.

Any better guesses'?

Also was reminded how much easier it is to land without the passengers help when one dropped the toggles when I said "Hands all the way up".

It seems a lot easier to nail the landing without fighting thier adreneline.

I would like to hear other tandem I's thoughts on this.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

I'm not a tandem I, but at my DZ I feel why its done that way is to let the passenger feel like they are helping in landing the parachute rather than just being a sack of rocks. For instance, its not uncommon for the "video guy" to yell out NICE LANDING to the passenger. I think it'd be a little stupid if the passenger had just sat there while the Instructor did everything. Maybe I'm wrong though?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Caveat - I'm not a tandem instructor. I was on the DZ last year when one of our Tandem instructors had 3 prematures in one day, on two different rigs I believe. They were tracked down to being a result of a big Tandem instructor, and perhaps too much of an arch. I can put you in touch with the tandem instructor if you wish.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

It's old but it has all the updates and has been to the factory within the last year or two.

Was that more common when they still used a curved pin instead of the 6'' cable pin they use now?

As to Andys question: the last 15 or so tandem passengers haven't minded, all they're missing is the last bit, they help steer and play until just before landing.

If the winds are 10+ or the passenger is light it isn't really an issue but with the bigger ones and light winds it is much easier. No surprises makes it safer for both of us.

AFFs starting with tandems are different, they need the practice.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

Strong has a modification that could have prevented this. It is a second closing loop/flex pin that releases only after the drogue is released.

http://www.strongparachutes.com/pdf-files/dht2loop.pdf

Out of sequence deployments are among the nastiest things a Tandem Instructor can encounter... I'm glad it worked out ok.

Steve Babin
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."