maverick1

Aerokart Wind tunnel (Newbie)

I am looking to do some tunnel time in Paris in the next month or so. (Orlando is a bit far, as in the UK)

I started AFF last year and am now on the consolodation jumps. However, because i haven't jumped for a while i thought that a little tunnel time would be good - to sort out my annoying problem of unwanted turns and to regain some confidence, as it has been almost a year.

I am only looking to do about 6 blocks of 2.5 minutes with a coach. Probably over two days or so, to make sure i don't get tired.

I will basically be working on starting and stopping turns (using arms). Can you think of anything else that i should be concentrating on while there?

I have not got any of my own gear yet, so i need to know if i can rent the gear there (jumpsuit, goggles, gloves)

Anybody been here who can tell me anything i might need to know? Any advise or comments would be great.

first advice, check the prices.
you might find that with a cheap flight it will be the same as going to orlando.
from what i remember the prices in paris are very high (65 euro for 2.5 minutes if i remember right)
in orlando its: "One Hour Block $600.00 "

so unless i'm missing something, its more than twice as much...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

I was considering going to Orlando, but as i am not planning on booking much time, it is cheaper to travel to France:

The price seems to be 54 euro per 2.5 min minutes (48 + 6 for coach). I am looking at doing 6 sessions: 15 minutes. The above price is based on buying a membership card, which lasts for a year for 20 euro

(54*6) + 20 = 344 euro, which is approx £230

Due to travel from London to Paris being a lot cheaper then a flight from London to Orlando, it does work out quite a bit cheaper this way, as my girlfriend wants to come along.

oh ok..
i dont know why i was under the impression you were going for a whole hour.

i know the one in paris is very good but if you want basic RW training you can consider other, less powerful, tunnels that might be cheaper.

i dont think i'd go to paris just for the wind tunnel, but if you're already there and can afford it, go for it.
i chose to save the money and jump more in Agen (which is a cool DZ near bordeaux)
but enjoy ;)
O

I've been to Aerokart twice now and on both trips had a fantastic time! I'm sure you will too, and that you'll gain lots of skills and confidence :)

I have not got any of my own gear yet, so i need to know if i can rent the gear there (jumpsuit, goggles, gloves)

Yup, they have all that stuff, (including Z1's) which you can borrow free of charge. However, I don't think their suits have booties on them, which would make it weird if you're used to jumping with them.

I appreciate that Aerokart is more expensive than tunnels in the U.S, but since Headcorn DZ to tunnel takes a smidge over 2 hours, I consider it rude not to go!!!

Steph
-x-

Dont know if you've seen this short discussion...
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1065161;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I've booked 3 x 2.5 minute slots in June with coach, I've only booked 3 slots due to time limits on myself. This works out as 182 euros = approx £120 for 7minutes 30secs.

***i know the one in paris is very good but if you want basic RW training you can consider other, less powerful, tunnels that might be cheaper.

Ok so what other tunnel options are available to British Skydivers...without going across to Orlando?

There aren't actually any wind tunnels in the UK yet - however two are being planned at the moment

oops, my bad :$
i was sure there was at least one...
they are also building one near moscow, and hopefully it will be ready by the time i plan on being there in august...

O