spedbus

jumping russia

has anyone here jumped in Russia? i'm considering a trip to Moscow next year and by then i'll be licensed with my own rig so i'd like to hear about anyone's experiences out there.
You'll lose speed, but keep altitude. It will look like you have a choice, speed or height, but either way you're still gonna nose-dive into the ground.
-Chuck Palahniuk

I have. Of course, it's about the only country I've jumped in so far, anyway! :)
So what specifically interests you? There are three major dropzones in Moscow whereabouts, each about a couple hours' worth of driving, and a good few of smaller ones that you aren't probably interested in. Enough people speak at least a bit of English that you can get by. Prices are expected to go up, but currently linger at about $10 for a ride to 14k. AADs are obligatory on all DZs here.

I'm attaching a few pics of my home DZ taken when I missed the first load :p

i am actually a russian language student here in the US so i'm confindent that my skill with the language by next summer should be significant enough to get by at a smaller DZ. i'm thinking mostly cost, customs and distance as well as aircraft available. looks like you answered all of them with the inclusion of your photos. thanks.
You'll lose speed, but keep altitude. It will look like you have a choice, speed or height, but either way you're still gonna nose-dive into the ground.
-Chuck Palahniuk

Why go smaller DZ? Visit Aerograd Kolomna. Some winter photos are available here http://dimm.wdcb.ru/public/KLMN_14_02/

Spring photos of Aerograd:
http://www.taki.sitecity.ru/album_1904152747.phtml

Price: $9 for jump ticket. Aircrafts: An-28 (yes, that was An-28 on the picture), Mi-8 helicopter (I LOVE it!).
Up to 64 loads per day. You are welcome here!

i jumped an-28 while i was in sweden for competion. very nice plane, noisy like hell, but climbs very fast. it was design for short take offs and landings, has a lot of wing. due to the same reason that it can climb fast, it can not dive fast :) so turn around time is pretty much the same as otter. but it's fun to jump.

funny, i'm russian myself, but i never jumped in russia :)

stan

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Not yet but I'm going to Kolomna in July B| so I'll let you know what it's like - I looked into a few DZ near Mosocow and picked that one as it had the most helpful website (I can't speak/read Russian!)

And they have helicopters - that's going to be something of a novelty!

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

Yea, An-28 is a bit noisy :P
It can dive and it can land really fast. That depends on the pilot. Most pilots fly safe, they do not want to hit some bird-man or crazy canopy flyer, so they have to do long landing patterns.
But does it matter? I land, grab my chute, go to the packing room and see An-28 landing. I'm not THAT fast to pack before it is gone for another load B|

Mi8 helicopter is a dream of any skydiver. Except for exits, it is not very comfortable. Small side door, tail gate is usually closed.

funny, i'm russian myself, but i never jumped in russia :)

You should do that, you'll like it, I promise B|

But does it matter? I land, grab my chute, go to the packing room and see An-28 landing. I'm not THAT fast to pack before it is gone for another load B|

yes, it does :) it matter for skydiviver since they get to altitude faster. and it matters for DZ since because
they want to have faster turn around time. and for an-28 is pretty much the same as for otter.

You should do that, you'll like it, I promise B|

i know i would :) i'm going back home for the whole september but i don't feel like brining my rig across half of the globe :)

stan

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

I'm sure, you gonna like it! Kolomna is a good place for skydivers who can't speak/read Russian. Loads are announced in English, and there are always a lot of people speaking English.
At least, you may always ask me :) and I'll translate anything for you.

USA - Canada - Alaska - Russia - Sweden - Czech - Slovakia - Kenya

Whoa! Fantastic plan, I wish I ever have possibility to have such boogie tour !

has anyone here jumped in Russia? i'm considering a trip to Moscow next year and by then i'll be licensed with my own rig so i'd like to hear about anyone's experiences out there.

Hey, listen to me... Aerograd Kolomna it is cool DZ, but Stupino - is the best. I was talking with Deland Majik last july on the Malevsky cup and guys said that they was amazing the level of Stupino. It is really the best place to jump near Moscow.

Mi-8 Helicopter, An-28 and L-410. Ticket to 14k for 9$. Bar & small restauraunt. Stupino is the place, where you can feel yourself a white man! :P

About language... Many peoples at any big DZ(especially near Moscow, S-Petersburg etc.) speak English not so bad. Don't worry about it especially if you know some phrases on Russian.
---------------------------------------
Íàñ ó÷èëè íå æèòü, íàñ ó÷èëè óìèðàòü ñòîÿ.

Stupino is the place, where you can feel yourself a white man! :P

now now ...care to explain what that means?

Eeee... Khm... I did not think that my joke can offence somebody... :$ Sorry...

My dad hear this joke at first time in India two or three years ago. Inheritance from the time of English colonialism... In India this phrase means that all will be allright and you'll be completely satisfy.

One more time: I did not want to offence somebody.

There is one one russian proverb: "Every kulick praise their swamp" ;)

(kulick - is the small bird living in a swamp)

But really it is all depend on your preferences. If you want to do 10-15 jump in the day - then Stupino or Kolomna will be right choice.

If you want to talk with interest peoples, eat barbecue etc. and do some jumps next morning - then go to Borki. :P There is some big advantage in Borki DZ: hotel is placer right at the DZ. And many good peoples jumping there.

I really hate to post offtopic here :P

It's great to find out that there are many russian spekaing skydivers in North America. Myself being one as well. I am fairly new to the sport of skydiving but I am learning and loving it!!! :). A crazy idea ran through my mind that perhaps we should meet up and organize a samll "russian" boogie one day.

Blue Skies to everyone!!!! :)

offtopic ends here.

Aerograd Kolomna made 45 (or 47?) loads this Sunday. How many loads were made in Borki :P ?
And one more interesting thing: WIND TUNNEL at Aerograd !!! Yes, it is almost ready, at least I saw video from the tunnel. Small working area (only for 2-way, well, may be 3-way), and for bellyfliers only, but it WORKS! I saw 2-way training session.
From what I heard, price will be ~$250 for 1 hour.
One thing missing in Aerograd, is warm shower. It will be built in summer.

I'm excited about all the feedback i'm getting on this post. thanks for your info. i believe that while i'm in Russia i'm now going to have to jump at least 2 DZs if not more. not that there is any problem with that.
-Chuck Palahniuk