phil6086

need advice on landing

I Have 33 jumps and a brand new rig. The jump was yesterday Sunday 29th. I weigh 209 out the door in gear and the chute is a 190 zero p SR-71. The slider that was sent with it was a dome slider that wouldn't come down unless I pulled alot on toggles. Was sent new slider smaller and not domed and it came down fine a little slow at first buthalf way down it slid fast. I am practicing the canopy book from sky dive Univ. and when I came on my final I was told I didn't flare high enough and landed hard spraining my knee. My quetsion is I was looking straight down when I landed insted of looking at an angle down, my normal flare has been okay but I don't think on those jumps I was looking down. Can someone please advise I was thinking about going on radio after my leg heals so I don't make another mistake like that or worse. ? Where is your best depth perception come from when landing.

Thanx Dave

I'm not sure I follow what you wrote about the new slider or the canopy book from skydive u, but it sounds like you need more practice under canopy.

I, like yourself, have only 40 or so jumps and most of the time I slide them in but sometimes I wipe out. The more I jump, the better the landings.

As for going on radio (with an instructor on the other end?), I would upsize your canopy before relying on someone else. As a licensed skydiver, trust yourself. Its better for your confidence and you'll learn quicker.

Just my 2 cents.
Jay

I am not a coach, or a jumpmaster, but I can convey what was reinforced with me when I was a student, and fresh off student status: No more than 45 degrees down from horizontal...you're flying forward, not down, so look where you're flying. Knees and feet together, at about 10 feet off the ground: FLARE, PLF if necessary. PLF will also help your knees and ankles if you do them correctly.

You can do it! You might try some hop-n-pops and ask someone you've worked with in the past to observe...just a thought. (your results will vary ;))

edit to add: radio isn't a bad idea either, that's your call, talk to a coach or JM at your DZ.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!