fudd

Tailwing

Since I haven't jumped in a while, I've been doing a lot of thinking. And so comes ideas.

I'm thinking of a tailwing (see attached sketch).
This wing is adds additional surface, and is kind of like a 1/3 wingsuit. It's a wing attached between the legs below the knees. Each leg has a cutaway system that allows for quick release . An adjustable string just above the knee, secured by the cutaway cord, keeps it from blowing of.

Has anyone ever tried something simular?

Without making a prototype model and jump with it, it's not easy to imagine how it will be to fly. One will have to experiment with different sizes to find out what's optimal.
I've made these assumptions:
- If it's not to big, it wont just put you in head down.
- It can make it possible to track with straight legs and arms extended infront. (Kinda like superman :)- It will maybe be possible to "bootie fly" it.
- Some interessting things may happen in headdown.

Safety:
- Cutaway handles can release one leg at a time.
Pulling both handles will release it completely.
- Stabilitproblems might occur. Strong forces of the wind may cause injury.
- When dumping the pilot, it will be possible for the pilot and bridle to go through the hole between the thighs and the wing. This can cause som nasty malfunctions. B|

Since I've got very few jumps (75), this is probably not what I should be experimenting with. I not going to apply for a Darwin award with this thing.

Opinions about this idea is wanted. Would you like to try this tailwing?

ps. I have not taken a patent at this thing yet. If anyone should think it's such a good idea that they want to patent, research, develop and make this into a product. Contact me first.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tailw.jpg

I'm so far from an expert that it's just depressing, but here's my opinion. It seems to me that there would be no body position other than maybe head down you could achieve stability with something like that. It seems like that would be making yourself into pretty much a badminton birdy, a flying shuttlecock (I've always wanted to use the word shuttlecock in a serious conversation;)) Of course, like I said, I'm pretty far away from an expert.

Truman Sparks for President

When you do a normal track you angle your body into a more headdown attitude by moving drag towards your feet - your tailwing looks like it would just put even more drag/lift towards you feet, tipping you even further headdown. Imagine being in full flight with a wingsuit on then then arm wings suddenly dissapear - you'd 'fall' forwards into a very steep track.

I'll try it, it sounds cool! :)
Gus

OutpatientsOnline.com