GulfCoastXtreme

My Memories Of Archway Skydive

My memories of Archway Skydive Drop Zone.
I remember being in Collinsville Illinois, working out of town for on a month and a half project. I had just gotten into the sport so I had to find my fix while I was gone from my home DZ. I called around to various Drop Zones to see what they had to offer. There are many Drop Zones to choose from around the St. Louis area but I was drawn to this particular one. I guess it was what they said and how they made me feel when I called. A few questions then it was “get your butt out to the DZ for some fun”. I was on my way that following weekend. Even after getting lost and driving 3 hours out of my way to find out that they were closed the weekend after Sept. 11th (I had no idea)(stupid me), I was not discouraged. I sat around with Jason, Anita, Terri and all the regulars at the DZ and they made me feel like one of the family, even being the stranger in their home. I was hooked.
Not even having my “A” license at the time I never felt inferior or out of place. I met some of the most awesome people I’ve ever encountered in my life during this time. I was able to jump with RW and Free Flyers. I saw my first canopy stack. (Beer) I would have to say that I was on vacation more than work at that point. I spent the next month with my newfound family every weekend. During the time everyone helped me with all my license requirements, something my home DZ had never mentioned, plus I was able to get my water training. (Burr, it was a refreshing jump into the lake but it rocked)
I would have to say that Archway is one of the friendliest Drop Zones I have ever encountered, free spirited and fun. Upon first arrival I felt like part of something, a feeling of comfort. I have met and made many friends though I was only there for a brief time but, from what I am told, the stories live on. You know who you are!! I have been back since to their Chili Party in December and my friends have visited my home DZ for our Mardi Gras Boogie this past February. I can’t think of any other way I would rather be spending my time than with my family from Archway.
Since I have been skydiving I have found peace within myself. Clarity and truth. That is my ultimate goal and I have found it within this sport. As long as we do not forget why we started into the sport and what drew us to the DZ the first time we will never forget who we are. I may get lost on occasion but I can always look to my new friends to help find my way home.

Skydiving = Peace Love and Soul

April 30, 2002

COuldnt have said it better clark.
Archway always will be my home even though i have been jumping at a new DZ quit a bit since i joined the army but in all the differences of all the DZs ive visited Archway is always the place for me.
Blue Skies
Joe
"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
--- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree, archway is a helluva place.

I was bugging my dzo (richmond, IN) to have live water training so I could get my B and go to the upcoming BIC to get my JM cert. I bugged and bugged and bugged, but no dice. then one saturday out of the blue I get a phone call from the dzo. she says that her parents (the former owners of the dz) were at archway flying one of the SDC Otters for memorial day weekend, and they were having LWT the next day.
I drove my butt out there, and was made to feel very much at home. I even got to display my wonderful depth perception... /sarcasm.

I was approaching from the front of the hangar, trying to get to the back of the hangar to the main landing area. I realized I wasnt gonna make it. so I went ahead and made my turn to final, so I could land on the tarmac.

Well, I noticed I was gonna end up on top of one of the 172s parked there, so I made a braking turn at the last minute and flared to a perfect landing on the concrete.

Apparently I made a few of the regulars quite nervous. One even came out to politely ask me what the hell just happened. I explained what happened, and they said "oh, ok. Just wondering. you didnt seem to be panicking, but that low turn made us really nervous. " you and me both pal ;)

I had beer and camped out that night, and got to jump in the nice cold lake the next AM. BRRRRR!

I got to reminisce a little bit when I was watching road rules last week and they showed the one where they did tandems there. It was great to see some familiar faces again.

Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Just gotta jump on this Archway praise session. My wife and kids and I are moving up there in the next couple of months and the reputation of Archway was a BIG factor in chosing where to relocate to. I've been out of the sport for 6 years and can't wait to get back into it. The old DZ I jumped at had an owner who was such an ass. He didn't take care of his gear, his jump ship crashed two months after I left his DZ (NTSB said it was HIS fault too, negligent upkeep), and he was rude to newbies like myself.

So, finding a new home DZ where there are good vibes and great people was a big big plus. So wifey and I visited Archway this weekend. Such a great place. Anita and Jason were so welcoming and hospitable! And they had a large turnout on Saturday for such a windy and chilly day in January. Their student gear is practically brand new and the whole place looks fantastic.

Such a friendly place! I can't WAIT until we are moved and up there jumping! What a great visit we had, thanks Anita and Jason (and Terri and...) And by the time we're up there, they'll have the Caravan to jump from... first turbine jump for me BEER!

--Michael

-the artist formerly known as sinker