Chrisky

HP Landings: instruction and training?

Hi People.

I'm posting a kind of theoretical question right now because i currently can't jump my own canopy (dont have a container atm as some might know...).

Well, i downsized to my 120 just like 30 jumps ago. It is great to handle, very agile and literally goes around the corner out of a dive to horizontal if you give a little toggle input. I'm doing quite conservative approaches, sometimes adding a 90 degree front riser turn (not full speed), to gain a little speed for a swoop. Yet on one of my last jumps (before selling the old rig), i missjudged my height and had to hit the brakes, nothing happened, i ran 3 meters and looked scary (and yes, i looked scared too). The next jump i returned to a standard toggle-based approach for comparison and relaxation. It was a good thing to do, showing me the differences (between a toggle and a "soft" front riser turn) a bit better than it did at higher altitude, where i used to test the different behaviours of the canopy.
A few experienced canopy riders were around there, they gave me quite good tips and instructions and were pissed at me because i screwed that time (and they were right).

Now my question is, how -except through patience and cautiousness- can one improve their ability to lower the risk of misjudging his approach for a swoop?
A Canopy Control Course is something i've been looking for, but they are rarely anounced widely and i don't know where and when people who are capable are around.

I've read the article on downsizing and low turns and it all makes perfect sense and i've been training these prior to any front riser touch.

Data:
Canopy is loaded at about 1.5, which is in the middle of the manufacturers recommended weight range for that size. Shape is semi-elliptical, two front cells and three rear cells tapered.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

>Now my question is, how -except through patience and cautiousness-
>can one improve their ability to lower the risk of misjudging his approach
> for a swoop?

I know of three ways to do it.

1. The trial and error method. Learn the sight picture for entry altitude, gradually start turning lower, and never get lower than you _know_ you can recover from. This takes a long time. It took me 500 jumps to be able to do it on a Sabre, another 300 to do it on a small elliptical. You have to learn this over a lot of jumps because it's essentially trial and error.

2. Get education from someone who can both swoop well and teach well. These people can be hard to find; a canopy control course is a good way to find them. Canopy "factory teams" or demo teams are also a good place to find such people.

3. The fast track, which is to estimate the entry altitude and recovery arc and just try it. If you enter too low, serious injury is often the result. If you get it right several times in a row, you've at least gotten the sight picture for one approach down. This is, of course, not the best way to learn to pull off a high performance landing, but it's often chosen by jumpers who are in a hurry.

A Canopy Control Course is something i've been looking for, but they are rarely anounced widely and i don't know where and when people who are capable are around.

some people i know are collaborating right now to institute a program to address the issues you've inquired about. just give them about 90-100 more days, this often inquired about topic will be covered, reviewed and addressed competently and adequatly soon. please be patient as this program is still in the conception stage. this program will be instituted to "Make A Difference." Take Care, And As Always....Be Safe And Have Fun!
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"