stylin

Getting a cold...

I went down this weekend with a pretty bad cold, hoping it was under control by the time I got to the DZ. Im familiar with what altitude can do if you have a cold, and was advised by the management and the guy I tandemed with last not to go up.

They said it could blow out or rupture sinuses. Also had bronchitis, dont know what that would have done. I was feeling like crap that day (yesterday) and took their advice. Kind of a wasted trip out there, but didnt know what would happen, and decided not to try to find out. Then I started accusing myself of chickening out of the jump, but I didnt really know what to do.

Reverse blockage can be a bitch. You did the right thing. At least now you might be able to jump next weekend. If you would have pushed the issue and hurt yourself you could be out for a while.

Believe those who are seeking truth. Doubt those who find it. -Andre Gide

It's difficult to say what -would- have happened, but among the things that could have happened are horrible pain in the sinuses of your forehead like somebody took a nail gun and shot you a couple of times. Also, you're ear drums could implode which isn't very much fun either.

Lemme tell you, do it once and you'll never do it again.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you are congested air can get trapped in your sinuses and ears. When the plane climbs to altitude the air pressure decreases. The trapped air then expands. It can rupture your ear drum and or many blood vessels in your sinus cavity. That could lead to a very serious sinus infection. Its the reverse of what happens when you scuba dive. Any way you cut it it's bad mojo. You made the right decision.

Believe those who are seeking truth. Doubt those who find it. -Andre Gide

Pardon my lanuguage, but holy shit! I almost didnt speak up when I was out there. I came that close to going up.

The manager said its pretty much up to me, but when they advise not to do something, I cancel it right away. But I came that close to not saying anything and going up because I didnt think it was any big deal, felt like I was just whining or something.

I had that headache you were talking about when I got home, and a shit load of Tylenols didnt phase it. Man I dont even want to think about this anymore.

If you are congested air can get trapped in your sinuses and ears. When the plane climbs to altitude the air pressure decreases. The trapped air then expands. It can rupture your ear drum and or many blood vessels in your sinus cavity. That could lead to a very serious sinus infection. Its the reverse of what happens when you scuba dive. Any way you cut it it's bad mojo. You made the right decision.

This can happen, I guess.
The problem I hear about is, as Quade implied, just the opposite. You eardrums can implode.

The ride to altitude, even in a fast climbing plane is actually quite slow when it comes to body cavity functions.

Chewing, swallowing, sneezing, coughing, yawning, ect. Basically anything that move parts of your jaw will allow the pressure to equalize on the way to altitude.

The sudden pressure changes in freefall are what do the most damage. Your body cannot equalize the pressure fast enough while falling. If the blockage is major, *poof*, no more eardrums.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

This can happen, I guess.
The problem I hear about is, as Quade implied, just the opposite. You eardrums can implode.

The ride to altitude, even in a fast climbing plane is actually quite slow when it comes to body cavity functions.

Chewing, swallowing, sneezing, coughing, yawning, ect. Basically anything that move parts of your jaw will allow the pressure to equalize on the way to altitude.

The sudden pressure changes in freefall are what do the most damage. Your body cannot equalize the pressure fast enough while falling. If the blockage is major, *poof*, no more eardrums.

This is getting worse and worse all the time! Thanks for getting me paranoid of going up with a cold, guess that will keep something really bad from happening next time. The freefall thing makes sense, thats pretty sudden. I was actually worried about the climb to high alititude, wasnt even thinking about that.

I'm always having problems with sinus congestion. If I have any sinus congestion, I feel a great deal of pain during my openings.

When it's bad I'm not talking discomfort. I'm talking holy sh$t that hurts! Please, please don't let me pass out, passing out would suck...

Whenever I'm having problems, I start taking some decent medication and/or do hop n pops.