ChunkyT

Skydive New England

Does anyone jumps at Skydive New England in Lebanon, Maine? I'm going to start making some training jumps up there this summer on June 13th (friday, hahaha). Just wondering how that dz is. Thanks, and I hope to meet anyone up there this summer.

Chad,
Boston, MA

We are creatures of the air, Our roots in dreams And clouds, reborn In flight.
-Salmon Rushdie

What about Pepperell? If you're from Boston you're practically on top of it. Its a great place, cool people, an otter, a cessna, a big green landing area with loads of outs, a fire out back and top notch instruction. I been meaning to hit up Lebanon for awhile now, But I can get to Pepperell in 15 minutes so simple jump greed and familiar people keep me coming back rather than deal with an hour+ drive. I hear its a bit more laid back than Pepperell, a party place....Pepperell used to be a party place, or so it felt like to me, but seems like all the party people left, scattered south and west.
Now Chad here has me wondering again. How IS Lebanon anyway? Layout? Easy outs or cramped? Is it a zone of its own like Pepperell or more improvised-looking, dz in a can tacked on to an existing airport in one building like Jumptown? (also a kickass place with more winter jumps available) How are the people?
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

My home DZ is Skydive New England. It's a great dropzone. Privately owned and operated. I did my AFF there and the instructors were excellent. Beer, parties and bonfires all the time. The nightlife is second to none. As for the landing area it can be a little tricky. There are very few outs to the east so don't go there unless you like trees. There's plenty of room on the west side of the runway so if you land there you'll be fine. It won't take long to feel at home. People are very friendly and courteous. Overall, I would say that it's a safe and fun place to skydive. Blue Skies!

I noticed that you are from Boston. Jumptown in Orange Ma is a great dropzone. I just started AFF there a couple of weeks ago. The instructors are great and the people there are very friendly and supportive. I think it would be a little over and hour ride from Boston.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

Hey everyone. Thanks for your help. I've already put down a deposit at Skydive New England, so I'll be sticking around that dz for most of this summer. And Matt, maybe I'll see you up there, just to put some faces to the screen names I've been typing to. Thanks again.

Chad

We are creatures of the air, Our roots in dreams And clouds, reborn In flight.
-Salmon Rushdie

Good luck jumping at SNE. I made only one jump there and since I only had about 15 jumps I wanted to have someone talk me down by radio. Whoever was on the radio was talking to someone else besides myself and I ended up landing in someone's back yard, braking my foot. The atmosphere is friendly, I really like it a lot, but I did get creeped out a bit after dark. Let's just say...if you like to party HARD, you'll like it there. So good luck and try not to land out...because there are NO outs!

Wow! Someone posts a message about one DZ and you get several others saying "no here! no here!" B|

I jump at SNE. Great place. Never had trouble with radio. The landing area and DZ itself look like a FISH from above carved out of the forrest. Yeah there are outs, fields "that-away" and "this-away." Haven't had to use them yet. :)

The weekends are great- definitely stay over night, join in the festivities. There's bonfires and BBQ's. And there's a paintball place on-scene.

I'm just about in your shoes ChunkyT (unless you've jumped like crazy since your last post.. heheh). Working on my A. See you there man. B|

Blue skiiiiiiiieessssss~~~B|

---
** Blue Skies, Yellow Mustard. **
It's like a farmer, out-standing in his field.

I started jumping @ SNE in 2000, and it's still my home DZ. I would (and have!) recommend it to anyone... feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the DZ. And welcome to the sport!!! Look forward to seeing ya' up there.

BSBD

-Dave

Of all the DZs that I have been to...SNE is the BEST!!! Great people, great vibes, beautiful area, bitchin swooping pond and its great to take a dip in!!! Bitchin super otter. bonfires, bands, cookouts, and dont forget LALALAND!!!! Man, I miss that place. I went through AFF there and worked there for the past 2 summers. PM me with any specific questions!!! Enjoy!!!

There are plenty of outs as long as you can find them. It can be difficult to find them if you have your head up your but...Just make sure you know where you are getting out and which way jumprun is (the common sense stuff). I have landed out in all directions N.S.E.W. No problems...even with tiny canopies...Make your decisions early.

How comfortable are the trees around SNE?

Oh, from first hand experience....., comfortable enough for me to still be be alive. On my AFF level 2 I was doing all the after opening canopy checks and enjoying the euphoria and the view, not realizing I was off the DZ and headed east with the wind. I didn't find any outs to the east, tried to make the paintball pit..... Not gonn'a make it. WTF am I doing up here. Picked a tree headed for the trunk.... The rest is ugly. But except for biting through my toungue(sp) and having sore shoulders for a few days, I was o.k. and back up in the air later in the week. But to your initial question, I really like the place and the people. I've only made 1 jump at another DZ, Pepperell, and I landed off. Spectacular landing between two houses. Amazed myself. Like I said, my experience is limited, but IMO, you'll like SDNE.;)

Hey. I'm a regular at pepperell and I gotta tell you. that landing of yours between 2 houses? You're still remembered for pulling that off, dude, I've heard the tale from other jumpers, the elders were amazed you didn't turn into wallpaper. I'm told they found you still in the area, all nonchalant about it not realizing what you'd just done was worthy of a jumper with 200 times your experience....come on back anytime, it's just getting started here. We got new engines in the otter, and plenty of room....

I'm told they found you still in the area

In what area? The DZ or betwen the houses? Because I hauled ass out of the yard and jogged down the road before any pissed off home owner had a chance at me. Hmmm, first impressions are lasting impressions:$. Anyway, I plan on making Pepperell my weekday after work spot (no pun intended). It's only a 20min drive from work.:)

yo dude i'm just north of pep in Nashua... smack dab right near the border too.

No problems if you want to (or can) land in my yard, just be sure to ring the doorbell and share the experience over a drink or two. B|

Oh, FYI: Nashua has the 911 system, so if the landing isn't as pretty as the earlier one- we'll dial you up an ambulence ;)

---
** Blue Skies, Yellow Mustard. **
It's like a farmer, out-standing in his field.

They didn't say. I heard this awhile ago....just some older guy telling me we had a newbie land in a wicked tight area between the houses once totally unharmed. I've landed in the oval horse track across the river twice in the last year and once was greeted from 200 yards away by a shrieking insane individual threatening me with all kinds of shit if I even spoke to her. " you!! get out!!! thats the way out!!! get out!!! no!!! do not even open your mouth or im calling the cops!!! no!!! do NOT open your mouth!!! shut up!!! get out!!!!get out!!! get out!!!! I'm having you arrested!!! get out!!! shut up!!" There was more like that but you get the picture.
when met with unreasonable hostility I see only one way to respond: polite defiance. Hiking towards the road canopy over shoulder I stopped and turned to the shrieker, (which amped her volume 2x...spit-flying fury, wonderful...) tipped my helmet to her and called out "thank you! have a nice day!" Turned my back slow and deliberate and sauntered out of sight with style...Soon as I was around the corner I broke into a run and got the hell out of there fast before she produces a shotgun. A car was waiting for me so I quoted Neo: "Mr. Wizard! Get me the hell out of here!" Second time I landed there I managed a stealth airdrop and escaped unnoticed. Anyone ever notice how difficult it is to be stealthy when you've just arrived by parachute?
By the way there aren't any horses at the horse track for me to spook with my parachute so I don't understand the reaction. Most people act like paramedics or treat you like a celebrity when you land in their yard: "you ok? wow that was cool. need a ride? want a beer? how do you DO that?"

Its gonna be cooking this weekend if the weather comes through. If you come out to pepperell I'm the only one there with a 20 year old car. I'm only 15 minutes out, Nashua area, so I'm there a lot. Come on out, theyre having some kind of 4-way scrambles going on saturday so there'll be lots of funnels to laugh at.:)