jphillips2000

**Newbie Looking for chute and training**

I made a tandem jump this summer and it has spurred me into seriously considering buying a ‘chute and becoming certified and I was wondering if you could tell me ballpark costs. Should I consider buying a used chute? How can I find out more about the different types of chutes? Do you need a separate certification to pack chutes? Essentially, I am trying to find a good source of information (websites, books, etc.) about solo skydiving so I can make more informed choices. Any help would be great.

Essentially, I am trying to find a good source of information (websites, books, etc.) about solo skydiving so I can make more informed choices. Any help would be great.

First, check out the rest of dropzone.com, then visit the official United States Parachute Association web site at http://www.uspa.org.

There are two great books available. The first is one I wrote for beginners, publilshed this past spring by McGraw-Hill. It is called JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy and it is targeted at people with no experience or just a tandem jump. It's a real basic book designed for people like you who want tons of information in a quick easy to digest publication. The first chapter is available as a FREE preview at Amazon.com. JUMP! lists for 14.95.

The second great book is called Parachuting, The Skydivers Handbook. It was just released in a brand new edition (9th edition) and is targeted at both beginners and experienced jumpers. This book is considered the bible of skydiving for students and advanced jumpers, and I strongly recommend it.

Both books are available at great discounts from Amazon.com. I suggest you look each up, and look in the bargain space on the page for each book because they often sell both together for a crazy low price.

Blue Skies,

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD Tandem)
Author JUMP! Skydiving made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Buy The Skydiver's Handbook by Dan Poynter and Mike Turoff.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1568600453/qid=1065401537/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-7464326-4058335?v=glance&s=books

Then, go to the DZ as often as possible. Take some form of training. Typically, this will either be static line or accelerated free fall (AFF). If you do a search in these forums, you can find more than enough info on both programs, or you could just ask instructors at your DZ.

If I were you, I wouldn't even consider purchasing a rig until I had completed a training program. There are many reasons behind this. First and foremost, you could decide that the sport just isn't for you. Also, if you go through a training program first, it will allow both you and your instructors to gauge your abilities. Plus, I don't believe there are any DZs that will allow you to jump your own gear during training...so even more incentive to wait until after....

Most importantly, browse dropzone.com all day....you'll learn just about all you need to know...and tons of stuff you don't:P

Should I consider buying a used chute?

First it is recommended to take the FJC and rent for a while. (10 jumps or so)

Do you need a separate certification to pack chutes?

yes and no, in your A license progression you will learn how to pack a chute. If you want to pack reserve chutes you will need a FAA rigger certification if its in the US. If you want to pack for others you need to be a rigger or pack while under direct supervision of a rigger.

You can find this info in the SIM (Skydivers Information Manual) download it from www.uspa.org or in the FAR 105 (Federal Aviation Regulation?) if am not mistaken.

I am trying to find a good source of information (websites, books, etc.) about solo skydiving so I can make more informed choices

One place lots of answers www.uspa.org, the site has a section for new jumpers. If you want to watch some videos you can go to www.skydivingmovies.com

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Kill this thread, please, it's in S&T as well as in Gear and rigging.
It's very disturbing popping in here seemingly not even caring to read the rules and going a search firstand then opening two (or maybe more) threads of same question.>:(
No help from me on this one.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...