CrazyIvan

High altitude and oxygen use (as per SIM)

Reading the SIM's Section 6-7-H.2.c it says:

Five minutes before exit

(1) Spotter signals get ready
(2) All jumpers arm AAD's, if applicable, and prepare to move

What do they mean by 'arm'? do they mean activate? turn on?, I'm a little confused.

Doesn't apply to the AADs you are likely to use. I bet it applies to some special AAD. So the Cypres is in the "not applicable" category.

I agree with you, however the confusing part is that the jumper is arming the AAD at altitude, shouldn't that be done at ground level?

there are 2 military versions, the FF2 and the AR2. Military AODs are set using the barometric pressure(FF2) that is obtained that given day. A device common called a whiz wheel is used to calculate the FF2 setting. It takes into account the barometric pressure and the desired opening altitude. One lines up the barometric pressure setting line and the desired opening altitude line and the outcome is the FF2 setting that must be set by the jumper. this setting is dialed in by the jumper,and checked by the jumpmaster during JMPI for the correct setting. At approx 6K feet, the jumpmaster will stand up and give the jumpers the ARM AOD signal. All jumpers will remove the arming pin(lolipop) from the main housing of the AOD and trace the cable down to the tip to ensure that it has been removed. If the A/C has to descend below 6k feet the jumpmaster must be notified so that he can give the jumpers the re-arm command so that everyones main pilot chute doesn't fire prematurely.

My guess is the SIM you are reading is either old or refering to a make/model other than the cypress(Astra, FXC ,etc)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My guess is the SIM you are reading is either old or refering to a make/model other than the cypress(Astra, FXC ,etc)

I believe is referring to other than Cypres, this is the latest SIM.