freakydiver

What is easier to plan for and avoid?

>one should never plan for canopies whereabouts, but constantly be
>on the lookout for them . . .

Well, you have to constantly be on the lookout for them, but there are places you can simply not see (like above you.) In those cases, you have to rely on the plan, which is that the low jumper has right of way, everyone flies a right (or left hand) pattern, everyone lands the same direction etc.

>while generally a landing area can safely be scoped out and decided
> upon given some average facts like there probably isn't powerlines
> in the middle of a field?

Except that landing areas often aren't static. Farmers harvest corn, cars move in parking lots, homeowners cut down trees and put up clotheslines. Bean fields can have stakes in them. At some point, though, you have to choose the best area and commit to it - it's better to land even in high corn than try a turn at 50 feet to make the golf course.

Guys - I was definately being mean - heh, if someone is a smartass in my thread, it pisses me off and I get angry. I admitted and admit to it. I will attempt to grow as a human now and reduce the anger level I allow myself to get to.

Below is my original post. If preventing someone from distorting my words makes me a smartass, so be it.

kydiverRick
Enthusiast
(Full Profile)

Aug 20, 2003, 11:48 PM

Post #28 of 60 (304 views)
Copy Shortcut
Re: [dragon2] Considerations when landing off [In reply to] Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well personally I like to land near a road if I can. If I don´t, I´m in for a long walk through fields and farms, and the DZ van might not see me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with landing near roads is the power lines. They are nearly impossible to see until the last minute. A long walk beats an ambulance ride any day.

never pull low......unless you are

Strange - I don't see that post here, am I missing something? My reference was to the following comment (everyone read: I am of sound mind right now and am only responding to Rick. My voice is not raised. I am not angry. I am only "arguing" my point which is precisley the point of a "discussion forum"):

"Still beating a dead horse?"

This is a comment that actually got posted in this thread from you Rick. It is sarcastic in nature, anyone with a decent amount of education can see that. IMHO it does not add to this thread in the least, it only takes away from others who may be reading it.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Strange - I don't see that post here, am I missing something? My reference was to the following comment (everyone read: I am of sound mind right now and am only responding to Rick. My voice is not raised. I am not angry. I am only "arguing" my point which is precisley the point of a "discussion forum"):

"Still beating a dead horse?"

This is a comment that actually got posted in this thread from you Rick. It is sarcastic in nature, anyone with a decent amount of education can see that. IMHO it does not add to this thread in the least, it only takes away from others who may be reading it.

We can all pretend that this argument didn't start in another thread (considerations when landing out).

Two seperate threads completely. I was angered, and apologized, by your's and Kallend's perceived sarcasm is all. Again, I offer you my apologies for getting angry with you, regardless, have a look a the poll results and try to see things from my standpoint. No harm intended, simply a suggestion.

Two seperate threads completely. I was angered, and apologized, by your's and Kallend's perceived sarcasm is all. Again, I offer you my apologies for getting angry with you, regardless, have a look a the poll results and try to see things from my standpoint. No harm intended, simply a suggestion.

In reference with the poll question, I agree with the majority (and you). I just don't like the way that my original advise to a jumper about power lines near roads was twisted into something else. I'll admit when I'm wrong, I think that most people (that know me) will agree with me on this. But I won't take credit for something that I never said. Your wanting me to look at the poll results just backs up my belief that it was started to discredit me on something that I never said.

I understand where you are coming from Rick - I never meant to twist words coming from you and apologize if that is what happened. My sole intent was to help educate the average passer/readerby person to prepare for powerlines by scouring any aerial photos of their DZ on a given day, and to swivel their heads like crazy under canopy expecting the worse.

My wanting you to look at the poll results has nothing to do with discrediting anyone - it just shows the overall consensus that has been proven - people seem to think that powerlines can be planned for better than canopies i.e. my original point and intent in this post spurred by our other conversation.

Anyhow - I know you are an experienced skydiver and I'm sure you teach these things well and my intent wasn't to show you the way (you have close to seven times the number of jumps I have, no doubt seven times the amount of experience), my intent was only to help people realize that they shouldn't plan on a canopy not being where it shouldn't be or planning on a canopy being where it should. Swivel the head is all I'm getting at.

Blue ones (sorry for the lame ass cloudy one comment - I would never honestly wish that on any of our race!!).

I'm not going to read the three pages of this but I think it's easier to plan to avoid another canopy since altitude is on your side.

I have landed off and under my reserve on a road with powerlines going down the side and found it difficult to see the black lines crossing the black road.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'm not going to read the three pages of this but I think it's easier to plan to avoid another canopy since altitude is on your side.

I have landed off and under my reserve on a road with powerlines going down the side and found it difficult to see the black lines crossing the black road.

You SHOULD read the last 3 pages!!!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

ALRIGHT YOU GUYS!!! We all know since the beginning of our student status... AVOID ALL OBSTACLES! This is powerlines, tree lines, other jumpers... We Know this.. Always be safe. And if there is no alternative, we've been taught how to land in all kinds of different situations... I've read all these postings, and honestly I'm lost of the main point. Although I am pretty sure that it was obstacles suck, don't land in powerlines or into other jumpers... and I don't mean to sound mean, but the poll that you started freaky sounds sarcastic in nature, so I'm guessing that from the sounds of the first couple posts that that sarcasm has followed you from another post... You don't even need to ask such questions... u are right. And we know it! It is much easier to avoid powerlines than another canopy. Plus, you would probably have a better chance at survival with the powerlines!B| I'll see u soon! MMMMM CASA... MMMMM OTTER!! tee hee;)
If I had wings... I would fly...

Well, IMHO, I'd say the power lines would be easier to avoid, simply by avoiding roads. Everybody learned in ground school that when landing off, you should find an open, clear area to land in. Therefore, pick the MIDDLE of the field, and you'll be fine. Stick close to the roads, and you'll find power lines. Trust me, I know about off dz landings, that's how I got my name. B| You can easily guess where lines will be if you just head for open areas, but for canopies, you need to be looking around you 360 degrees around, up, and down. Other people are dangerous dude, stay the hell away from them. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I'm certainly never going to tell my future prospective students that powerlines don't run parellel to roads, I'm going to tell them, most of the time they do, so try to land away from the road.

That's a good call... I was making a balloon jump last year and planned to land in an open field near the road that the chase car was on. Two of us exited and quickly realized the winds wouldn't allow us to make the field we agreed on. He chose 6' tall corn and I chose a dirt road leading from the main road with powerlines (that I saw) to a farmer's house. I had 6' corn on one side and 15' trees on the other. I made a nice straight in approach and stopped short of the lines and road just as the chase car was pulling up. They opened the door and said "Holy shit, didn't you see the powerlines?!" I said of course I did, why do you think I landed short of the road like this? They pointed above me and I saw a stray line coming diagonally off of the main road direct to the farmer's house. I passed underneath it on my flare.

That was eye-opening, I can't say that I realized that lines had offshoots like that until that day. Some knowledge that somebody else might find helpful...

--------
Benefitting from the 'free capture of verticality.'