MattyBoy

Staying Current

Is staying current a precise thing...ie. is there a set of 'rules' outlining the maximum length of time different licensed jumpers can leave it between jumps without having to be assessed by the DZO? If it makes a difference, I'm an A license and jump in New Zealand, Australia and the UK.

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

Or in his case his local organization that governs over skydiving. (Being that he is not in the US, I don't think the sim would help)

One thing that I know, regardless of the rules for staying current in whatever book you look at, staying current is good because it keeps your skills up, and you don't forget as many of the little things that need to happen to have a safe trip to the ground.

But thats just how it was explained to me as I was learning.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

One thing that I know, regardless of the rules for staying current in whatever book you look at, staying current is good because it keeps your skills up, and you don't forget as many of the little things that need to happen to have a safe trip to the ground.

D to the Itto

Blue Skies Black Death

In this country (UK) there are no exact rules for currency, its down to the CCI whether you are allowed to jump there, or have to do a refresher jump (like aff level 7 or similar). But how long varies from one dz to another.

There was a guy who turned up at my dz who I hadnt seen for 6 months. He'd got his A and not jumped since. He was allowed just to go straight back in the a/c. He did fine, though was shitting himself on run in. I think some dzs would probably have made him do a re jump.

But I also heard at one dz of a guy who hadnt jumped for several years, but had about 1000 jumps before so was allowed to jump. He jumped in normal clothes and borrowed someones kit. His clothes covered both his main, cut-away and reserve handles. Cypres fired. After, he was grounded at that dz. Apparently he didnt realise it had a cypres either.

So the number of jumps doesnt necessarily affect currency either.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.