larry

Had to buy a fifth yesterday…

Almost. I would have, but he preferred Honey Brow Lager.

pull at 3.0, the hardest, fastest opening ever, knocked the wind out of me, left out a loud involuntary grunt, looked up and saw torn center cell and broken lines, paused to think “oh shit,” did controllability check because there was still altitude, though I think I already knew what was going to have to be done, seemed to flare ok, surged hard when let up on toggles…

resigned myself to reality, checked altitude again, 2.2, look-grab-look-pull-pull,
next there was a beautiful reserve above my head…

All this happened in about ten seconds. It was very intense, but happened so amazingly fast there was never any panic. All those student fears are gone now. I certainly don’t feel invincible, but I hope to spend less time wondering if I will freeze when I need to react.

Training, emergency procedure & muscle memory practices really work.

No Shit.

Larry

(It was rented gear, I was not in a track, there was no line dump as seen on the video, wing loading of 0.95:1.00 on a ZP, chute was fairly new and very well maintained, the person who packed the main did it in the same proven way as had been done many times before. Should not waste time with controllability check with so much damage.)

The post is about personal reaction to malfunctions.

Amen indeed.

Had my first chop last wknd at my home DZ and i can honestly say i feel the same way. Not invincible but certainly not worried about having to do it again.

Mine was jump number 32.

Sweet sit fly, turned and tracked at 4500, dumped at 3000, looked up to do checks only to find the front left end cell closed and my left brake line stuck fast.

Tried to sort it for a few secs before checking alti and hitting the emergency seq.

Practice, practice, practice, makes perfect.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky