TaeKwonDoDo

Fall rate too fast...

Did three group jumps this weekend and I consistently fell faster than the rest of the people on the groups. I was able to slow my rate enough on the first one by "hugging the tree" but on #2 the guy could not catch up to me and I couldn't slow down enough.

Any hints/tips here?

thanks,

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

For one, you're really going to have to learn how to fly slow to fly with other folks due to your size (I'm an avid weight lifter with a beer gut too, so I feel your pain). Try some good RW coaching to learn how to really properly slow down (its more then just "hugging the tree"). I HIGHLY recommend Skydive U coaching, there are SDU coaches every where, you don't have to go to a "campus."

Secondly, you need a jumpsuit that will really help you. Check my review of the Bev Suit I bought in the RW forum, the things I had done on the suit would probably help you as well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I found the thread and didn't understand what you had done to the suit to help you with your fall rate. I'm 190 and semi-built with what can be confused as a beer-gut too.

I just ordered the "Comp" suit from BodySports and they won't be cutting fabric for a week or so still - anything I should tell them?

I opted to not get the booties, btw...

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

Booties can help your fall rate, you can turn them outward to catch more air. I had "Pleats" put on the legs, which are strips of fabric sewn to catch air (see pic)...I had the suit made slightly baggy, with baggy arms, using the slowest material they use. Also, I got the suit with a liner, to add more material to the front of my body, to help with fall rate.

Yeah, I weigh between 245 and 255 (depending on the week, etc) butt nekid, so my exit weight is closing in on 285, I'm 6'1", so you can see where I've got some serious fallrate. I opted NOT to get swoop cords, since if you're turning points, they can really mess with you, but if you really learn how to fly them, they can really help you. IMHO, people should learn how to properly fly their bodies, instead of relying on swoop cords.

The only problem I found with the pleats, is that if I'm arched out flying with another "big boy", when I push my legs out a bit for some drive, I pop up, beyond that, they're great and they don't mess up center point turns or anything like that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."