pilotdave

First tandem

Did my first tandem yesterday. Jump #135. Now I know why those tandem students always look so nervous. And this was the instructor's 7th tandem.

The jump went great. Not nearly as uncomfortable as I expected. Did a perfectly stable poised exit and he threw the drogue after a couple seconds. Then I got to have some fun. Stuck my feet straight down, grabbed my toes, went fetal, tried turning and tracking, anything to throw him off a little. There wasn't anything I could do that he couldn't counter. Kinda nice to know, I guess.

Considering every experienced jumper I talked to beforehand wouldnt even consider making another tandem as a student, I expected a LOT worse. The opening was softer than my own canopy, and that thing had better performance than my canopy too. We did a nice soft slide in landing. The one thing I should have done was borrowed a student suit... my jumpsuit now has a nice brown ass (on the outside!!).

Overall I really enjoyed the jump. It was nice to let someone else do all the work for once. I'd do it again if I got the chance. Maybe next time we won't bother with that silly drogue and really have some fun. :)
Oh yeah, I know... I bought. :)
Dave

Wow really, I did my first tandem on my 87th jump and all I can say is that there is no way I will ever do it again. The instructor was great and it was a big rush. I was so nervous being in a plane, with no door, knowing that I was going to jump out of it. Plus giving up all that countrol.