vonSanta

'Nam pilots

Wonder how they got spread out all over the world's dropzones?

It appears to me that every dz has a 'Was in Nam' pilot - or one who flies like there's AAA coming up from the ground.

They're the ones who'll lift the gear up just above the runway, build speed and do an impression of a Polaris missile. They're the wannabe astronauts who think less is best - therefore zero G gotta be better than 1.

If you're the last one out and they think you're taking too long, they'll either give ya a boot to the arse or tip the plane over, since you're "endangering lives by keeping the plane in a hot area".

They're the ones who'll take a bet with the most experienced skydiver at the DZ that they can make their CYPRES pop in their plane - and win.

For them, it ain't a low pass unless they're mowing the lawn with the prop. It ain't formation flying unless one could walk from the wing of one plane to the wing of another.

If any skydiver lands before they do, their egoes will bruise. And they want to be in the shot for at least 30 seconds if there's a camera flier in free fall.

We call it "'Nam flying". They call it fun B|

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Being an extremely green newbie in the sport I can't relate to the jump side of things but when I was serving I LOVED doing treetop or NOE flying (riding)in a plane or a helicopter.

OOOOOOOOOH I am getting chills thinking about it

well there is Dennis, he was a door gunner, he aiways has ti be front float!

No, he's always front float because everyone has given up talking loudly enough to tell him where he really should be.:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I jumped with a couple guys who were pilots in Nam. One flew a bird dog plane and the other flew a helicopter. Yes, both are more than a little bit nutso. The one who flew the bird dog admits he is probably suffering from PTS even though it's been over 30 years since Vietnam. He's pretty high up in the fire dept. and flies a Leer Jet for some rich guy on the side.

The other Vietnam Pilot, who flew a helicopter, went to Casa Grande in the 70's. He drove a hearse and called skydiving Sport Death. Last I heard he had a helicopter flying job of some sort for a civilian agency.......Steve1