StearmanR985

T-AF 4 & 5 in Lodi, Lessons to be Learned?

Did my 2nd and 3rd AF yesterday, 23 days after my first one. Weather was mediocre but I was ready to jump. Ed gives a refresher on some procedures then we go over the jump sequence. For this one it was a poised exit (Beech 99 today), stable, PPCT's (2), then 90 and 180 degree turns and pull at about 5,500. So, we climb to ~10K (weather issues) and out we go, little bit of rain in face, kind of liked it. Stable, check with Ed get the OK to do some turns, monitor alt., another turn, check alt., one more turn, geek the camera (couldn't resist) and time to pull. Controllability is good, kick back and relax, sort of fly the pattern, coming in for the landing and WHAM! B| OUCH!! That is going to hurt for at least a week (lower leg). I now know why you are SUPPOSED to PLF if there is any question on your landing!!! :$ I grumble and limp back to hangar. Put the landing aside, Ed gives me thumbs up, great job lets do it again!
Time for jump number 2 of the day. This time, no assisted exit and do a back flip. Climb to ~10K again (still weather issues) and it is "out, in and away" look down, flail legs, brain kicks into to gear, "Stop flailing moron and ARCH". COA, get the OK from Ed for a back flip, done! Sweet. Pull at 5,500 and enjoy the ride. Wait....snivel-snivel-snivel, one line twist which undoes itself before I have to grab the risers and do it and down comes the slider. OK, now controllability check and enjoy the ride. Now, what did Ed tell me about flying a better pattern AND sticking a landing. Oh yeah, "Quit flying with half brakes all the time." Now I hit the my landing pattern on the money and now for that damn landing...NO brakes, wait for it....wait for it....Flare!!! My first stand up landing. B| SWEET!!
As I am dropping off my equipment Ed comes around the corner and says, "Awesome job 'Running Man'." Wonder what the hell he is talking about. So, we check out the video and when I was flailing it looked like I was trying to run in mid air, :D. Anyway, I only did it for about a second and a half then arched and got stable so it is all good.

Lessons:
1. Always be ready to, PLF just in case!!
2. When leaving the plane, watch the airplane as you exit, it will help prevent the running man syndrome..
3. Speaking of which, just call me Running Man.
4. I owe lots of BEER!!! My first AF (a few weeks ago), my fisrt injury followed by my first stand up landing. And, if all goes well, I GRADUATE after my next jump which I intend to follow up with my first solo. SO, I will be bringing a FULL ice chest upon my next visit to the DZ.

Ed, a personal thank you. You're a great JM and I am very happy with my training so far. :)Oh, and just in case you get any funny ideas, please remember that mayonaise belongs ON sandwiches ONLY.

Jeff

I owe lots of BEER!!!

Usually you only owe you 1st case of beer after you have did your grad jump, and then after any "first".
But we'll take it anytime your willing to bring it!:ph34r:

Ed, a personal thank you. You're a great JM and I am very happy with my training so far. :)

Your welcome. You pick things up fast and will be soon spending all your money at the DZ!:ph34r:

Oh, and just in case you get any funny ideas, please remember that mayonaise belongs ON sandwiches ONLY.

Just never brag of doing a jump that was your 100th, 200th or 300th in a place with no whipped cream! Never try and sneak away from the DZ after the jump too, and you'll never get the mayo? The mayonaise just happened to be the closest thing to whip cream at the time. :PRightJP?:ph34r:

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com