JohnRich

Skydiving on TV

What is the requirement for a bailout rig in the US? Most Cessna pilots will wear one, but I can't recall seeing many (if any, of course I wasn't looking) in larger aircraft. If one is not required, then the pilot is free to wear whatever he wants (or nothing at all), without any backlash from the FAA.

PART 91—GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
Subpart D—Special Flight Operations

§ 91.307 Parachutes and parachuting.
(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and—

(1) If a chair type (canopy in back), it has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger within the preceding 120 days; or

(2) If any other type, it has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger—

(i) Within the preceding 120 days, if its canopy, shrouds, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or other similar synthetic fiber or materials that are substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, or other fungi and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(ii) Within the preceding 60 days, if any part of the parachute is composed of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber, or materials not specified in paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section.

(b) Except in an emergency, no pilot in command may allow, and no person may conduct, a parachute operation from an aircraft within the United States except in accordance with part 105 of this chapter.

(c) Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any intentional maneuver that exceeds—

(1) A bank of 60 degrees relative to the horizon; or
(2) A nose-up or nose-down attitude of 30 degrees relative to the horizon.
(d) Paragraph (c) of this section does not apply to—
(1) Flight tests for pilot certification or rating; or
(2) Spins and other flight maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate or rating when given by—
(i) A certificated flight instructor; or
(ii) An airline transport pilot instructing in accordance with §61.67 of this chapter.

(e) For the purposes of this section, approved parachute means—

(1) A parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a technical standard order (C–23 series); or

(2) A personnel-carrying military parachute identified by an NAF, AAF, or AN drawing number, an AAF order number, or any other military designation or specification number.

The FOX canopy is not manufactored to a TSO that I was able to find anywhere. The rig while I was'nt able to identify it by anything more then it was a 2 pin rig... was not TSO'd either since to my knowledge only one BASE harness is certified and thats a German one and its not legal in the US for pilots.

The FAR's have all the answers for those who seek out the real truth ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was far more impressed by "chief safety officer" Sol. "...if you haven't got the experience, you shouldn't be doing it, but you've gotta start somewhere and get the experience..." "..."but I wouldnt say BASE jumping is unsafe. Probably driving on the road is way more dangerous."

Glad he's not in charge of my safety! :)
Dave

I dont want to start a whole political argument, we can do that plenty other places. If you want to, lemme know, i'll take ya on!;)

If you look past the editing, I can see how Miles can be a cool guy. i would say it is mostly the editing I am mad at.

But here is what I ask of you all.
Do you think this was an accurate and worthwhile program as the public perceives our sport(s) through it?
What was un-accurate, and how would you all have done it differently?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

I dont want to start a whole political argument, we can do that plenty other places. If you want to, lemme know, i'll take ya on!;)

If you look past the editing, I can see how Miles can be a cool guy. i would say it is mostly the editing I am mad at.

But here is what I ask of you all.
Do you think this was an accurate and worthwhile program as the public perceives our sport(s) through it?
What was un-accurate, and how would you all have done it differently?

I think it was fairly inaccurate implying that allowing one's significant other to pack was some huge issue of trust. People use packers who have less ties to them every single day.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I was just amazed at the typical American arrogance

I didn't detect any hint of this "arrogance".

Where are you from? I notice you don't seem to be willing to reveal anything in your profile. That makes it easy to hide behind an anonymous identity and make such accusations of arrogance. But it doesn't say much for the credibility of someone who is not willing to stand behind what he says.

John - I grew up in South Africa, Australia, have been in over 11 countries before I was 16, and moved to the US, where I have traveled from NY, to FL, to CO.
I have tried to update my profile, but my computer (at work) will not allow me to do so. I am trying. If you need any info on me, let me know and I'll hand it over.
If you want to discuss my views as stated earlier, let me know, I do not want to agrivate a lot of people here by barging over everyone. Lets have an orderly, friendly discussion if you want to proceed.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!